S/O: When was the last time?

As a single mom of 3 (17, 14, 12), I can totally relate to feeling at the end of my rope and just having a hard time dealing with raising children. Even when I was married, I was pretty much a single mother as my then husband wasn't much of a help. Luckily, I have family that can watch my kids for a little bit while I clear my head. After my husband left me, I went on anti-depressants for a few months to help. I also saw a counselor to help me thru a difficult time in my life.

How do you deal with it when your children are wearing their misbehaving clothes?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• Lol! The smarty pants in the dresser was my comment yesterday. And I really like your "misbehaving clothes" because it's just like that, they put 'em on and take 'em off.

I personally have been working on being less reactive. The less energy I add to the bad behavior by losing my cool, the quicker it passes. It works for the 13 yo just as well as the 3 yo. I really don't get much of a break, but I have carved out a few hours a week to hit the gym. It helps a lot, too.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• LOL, I never heard of it referred to that way, but I like it! All children drive you crazy... that's why they look so cute when they're sleeping... My grandma had a saying that I quoted many times in those days, "And this too shall pass".
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• i have one child and no man
    my child has issues
    i get very tired and would love a timeout
    some days, sleep is my only 'me time'
    it is what it is
    she depends on me, so i do my best when i feel like my well is completely empty, and hope the next day is easier

* i would not trade her for anything in the world
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• It's okay to lock yourself in a closet, bathroom, ect. For a few minutes just to collect yourself.

Motherhood can be very isolating and lonely. I joined my local MOPS club. Also the library was my best friend, I went there every other day because I didn't have to worry about losing track of my kids so it was less stressful for me.

http://www.mops.org/
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I have just one but have family that will help when I need some time for myself.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Absolutely true tempsing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• WhenI had my baby, one of my favorite aunts told me something she'd seen in the Baby Blues comic strip that I've never forgotten, and it has gotten me through some of the exasperating times.

"The days are long, but the years are short."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Well, if they can have smarty pants in their dresser (seen in a question yesterday), I figure they can wear misbehaving clothes. LOL
    Your grandma sounds like mine. She was always reminding me that they wouldn't be that way forever. I remember being frustrated with potty training them and she told me that they wouldn't be wearing diapers when they went to kindergarten. She had a way of putting things in perspective.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Do you have family? Friends? Co-worker? Neighbor? Somebody that could give you a break? I would if I could as I know how important it is to have me time. Is there anything I can do to help?
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Well mine are only 2, so I can't be of much help here!!!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 9:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2013