How old is too old to spank

M daughter is about to turn 15 and my son is 10 they have always been spanked
Is 15 too old now I low this are different now but I was spanked up to 17

Upride

Asked by Upride at 12:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• At ten and fifteen, I think most kids have speaking and listening skills that are adequate enough to make spanking unnecessary, since you should be able to get your point across using words and logical consequences such as taking away privileges. A teenager will probably only be angered by corporal punishment.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Yes they are past the age of spanking.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I'm against spanking at any age but if a parent thinks that is the only way to go...I believe doing it over the age of 3 should tell you that it's NOT WORKING. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind spank a 17 yr old young woman? Well for starters, to teach her to have children and abuse them as well. Break the cycle. Stop hitting children. 10 and 15 is WAY too old to be hitting and expecting them to respect you....which is why they probably still act out. Respect them and they will respect you...no need for hitting. Teach them to act correctly and they just might surprise you and behave! YES it's that easy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• "Always been spanked". Are you hearing yourself? If it worked it wouldn't need to be repeated. Stop spanking those children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I don't know, I remember my really sweet, even tempered, slow to react mother belting my brother in the mouth when he was 15. He called her a "broke fucking bitch" at the breakfast table when she told him that if he wanted to buy (insert whatever he was asking for money over), then he needed to get a job and work for it.

It wasn't anything routine at our house by any means, but even he will say he deserved it. I would not use it as a usual method of discipline at that age, for sure. I think the only reason it was effective in this case was because of the pure shock value of it. If he was getting spanked routinely, I don't think it would have had the same effect. I definitely agree that at their ages, they are more than able to reason well enough to make other methods of discipline more effective.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I think past 6-7 there are other methods that work better. Take away whatever they love most for a period of time - going out with friends, video games, etc

Answer by missanc at 6:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• 7 or 8 ish?
    at that point there are other effective ways of dealing with things.
    Definitely not as teens- what purpose would that serve? Take cell phones, ground them, take the car, take away computer time...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• 8
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Spanking doesn't work. You would think by now you would have realized it. Trashy way to teach right & wrong. How about getting a book from a place called the "Library" on how to discipline a child without inflicting pain? Ever thought of that? Spanking is WRONG!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Anon-Even though you don't agree with it, it does work with some kids. I would say 7 or 8. Ground them, take stuff away, make them do stuff around the house and yard. More effective things as they get older other than spanking.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2013