How important is preschool?

I'm seriously debating not enrolling dd. I cant afford private preschool and the public ones here suck. How important do you think it is? I'm going to school. I'm done in August. I was thinking I could just enroll her in a daycare/preschool program in the beginning of next year after I get a job. Do you think that will be good enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• imo
    depends on the daycare

for me preschool is not about learning letters, numbers etc so much
    but more
    learning to be social and follow some simple rules (sit down, get in line, share, take turns, sit on a carpet square and be quiet when teacher is talking)- following the rules
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• ^^ditto
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My sister is a kindergarten teacher. She really pushed me to enroll my daughter in preschool, back when we were still in contact with each other. Like Fiatpax said, it was more to get my daughter used to following directions, standing in line, cooperating with other kids, that kind of stuff. The stakes are a lot higher if a six-year-old hits another kid with a toy because she hasn't learned to share than they might have been if she did it when she was three.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• The school DS will be going to when it's time offers free preschool half days. We're in Texas. I'd do my best to send him if this wasn't an option though. I work full time outside of the home, as does SO. And we also maintain a a work from home business. Teaching him everything he'll need for kindergarten ourselves isn't an option.

Lindsay4Ambit

Answer by Lindsay4Ambit at 12:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• But they are so adorable learning how to play school. Does so much for their self esteem. You don't want your kid to have less of an understanding of how everything works than the other kids who did go to pre school.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Depnds on the kid. Two of my kids had preschool, they needed it. The middle one did not need it and was totally ready for kinder when it was time. Look at kinder requirements and see if you can teach your child all of those things before kinder.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I sent both my daughters to pre k because I wanted them to get the social aspect out of it. i do not drive so when I am home from work we do not get out a whole lot and they did not go to daycare so they did not spend a lot of time with other kids. I actually enrolled younger dd in it AT 3 FOR 2 half days a week because she was painfully shy and I wanted her to get used to being around other kids and it made a huge difference!
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I have sent all my kids to preschool. They say that kids that went to preschool have an edge when they go to kindergarten, that edge disappears as kids age but I wanted my kids to be at the top of their class from the beginning.
    I don't think it's a matter of teaching academic things to your child, it's more about social expectations and classroom behavior - things that are hard to replicate at home.

Answer by missanc at 6:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• If you have to pay for it like day care. I do not think it is worth it. I taught my kids at home, before kindergarten.

Answer by louise2 at 7:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My oldest did not go and my youngest did. Truthfully because of their personalities I felt the younger one needed it and the oldest didn't. I did not inform the school that my oldest did not go and when I went to the first parent teacher conference his teacher was surprised because he listened so well. I had him in multiple sports etc. at the local YMCA where he learned without me there how to do those social things,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2013