My nephew has really stepped in it this time...

So my sister just called me and tells that her 9 yr old Nicky apparently was in a library today at school when a librarian over hears him saying a bomb in his pocket and he was gonna detonate it. So the librarian does the thing she is supposed to and locks the school down, order all the kids out of the library, except Nicky, calls the police and the principle and whoever else that needs to be called. To me this sounds a little over board considering it was coming from a 9 yr old, but rules are rules right? I do understand he needs to be punished and punished harshly from mom and the school. But the bomb sniffing dogs, police surrounding the school and going into the library like Osama Bin Laden is in there seems to be a bit much. Nicky told me he didn't say that, he said "my mom makes cookies and man they are the 'DA BOMB' !!" The kid he supposedly said this to told the police this also. But the librarian is sticking to her story. And who is gonna believe her first over a 9 yr old?? As it stands right now, he is looking at being expelled, and having to go to a 'alternative school' whatever that is.

I am at a loss at what kinda advice I should give her. Nicky is actually a decent kid and has only been in trouble at school once. That one time was when a kid would not leave him alone, and kept on bullying him so Nicky got fed up and punched him and the kid fell down and got a fat lip. Nicky got a 7 OSS for that one.

What do you think?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• Advice about what? He said the word bomb and even if that is all she heard she needed to do what she did for the protection of the other kids. 9 year olds have been known to take guns to school so I am glad the teacher did that. Sorry he is trouble but perhpas it will be a lesson for him and others to choose yoru words carefully.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Anon...there was no reason for you to go anonymous, I do have pretty tough skin, and you are right, he should have chosen his words a little more carefully. And yes 9 yr olds have been known to take guns to school, but a bomb in a pocket?? And when you have another boy who is 12 say the same thing to a police officer and another teacher without varying the story to be adds a little more that the librarian heard wrong. Just like all the other teachers who are doing the same thing. Suspending kids for bubble guns, making the "gun" gesture and getting suspended for 10 days, or throwing away cupcakes cause there were toy soldiers on top of them. I am not saying what the librarian did was wrong, she did what she needed to do. And a 9 yr old knows better, well maybe except in using the word "da bomb". But his Uncle says it all the time, hell so does my sister!
    But my thing is maybe she did hear it wrong...
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• But I doubt she will admit it in fear of looking like an idiot or the teacher who cried wolf.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I said da bomb all the time when I was little.

There really is no one to blame here. If he had said he had a bomb and then innocent kids were killed the librarian would be in a world of shit. I guess it is just the world we live in.

If she thought he said it was in his pocket then I probably would have expected her to go check his pockets.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Its really hard to tell anymore now days. It sucks that we have been reduced to this kinda shit. Ain't nothing like it was when I was growing thats for damn sure. The only gun I saw was on a movie, where pot was something you put plants in!
    But I wasn't looking to blame anyone. If anything, I think I would wash my sister and my brother mouths out with dawn dish soap! And tell them to express joy some other way! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I feel bad for your nephew, he must being feeling really  scared right now. I would tell everything is going to work out. The school is in a tough spot, if they over react they're wrong, under-react and their negligent. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I don't have a problem with the immediate response, but now that it is over and clearer heads can prevail the kid deserves to be heard and the expulsion should not take place. Whatever happened to the right to face your accuser and be tried by a jury of your peers. I realize this is a kid, but the principal needs to act like a wise adult and recognize that something might have been misheard and let it go.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I agree with the PP. The initial response was correct, but now that it was clarified and he has a witness to back him up it should be left at that.
    Librarian needs a vacation, though... She sounds a bit paranoid.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• What the school did was needed. But the librarian is a bit paranoid and if there is more the one kid supporting that statement I dont see why the police/school wouldn't believe the kids.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

• It seems to me a little clarification and common sense by the librarian would have gone a long way here.
    We're talking about something she overheard, not a threat that was being made. Common sense is our biggest weapon against all of this school overreaction mayhem.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2013