How can I get my son to COLOR on PAPER!

Help, I have three kids and my older two never had an issue with markers;crayons;pens, the way my son does. He is three and will write on anything but paper. He is very aware of the rules and will tell you, "I am not supposed to write on the wall; couch; tv , I have to write on paper" but five seconds later he has found another writing instrument and is happily coloring away on my furniture. We have tried time outs and yelling. He just thinks its funny. Or he'll say, I am sorry I won't do it again. We can not completely take the pens away, we are a busy family of five. He finds them in his sisters book bag, in the desk (which has a lock on it that he has mastered) or under the couch. What can I do?

Fairytalemomof3

Asked by Fairytalemomof3 at 4:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter the youngest of three went through this, we had to put everything up high where she couldnt get them and i bought her, her own special color wonder pens and paper i know its spendy but it really doesnt cost any more that the celaning supplies and the ruining your house. My boys had to learn to be responsible and make sure everything was put away.

I completely understand we are a very busy family also but sometimes everyone has to work together to make sure things dont happen.

once my daughter became more responsible with the color wonder i bought washable crayons and markers and regular paper adn now she can use anything she finds and i dont have to keep anything up high she follows the rules and is very good about it. it took about a year till we got to the last phase but it was completely worthit and now my walls are artwork free except what i tape up on them lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• color wonder. definitely.
    youngs_wifey05

Answer by youngs_wifey05 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We have tried the color woder route, that doesn't work either. We try to work together to kep things up high but I also have a four year old(who behaves with crayons/markers) that doesnt always remember and an older child who autistic. Maybe I will keep the color wonder markers where he can get them all the time. We haven't used them in a while maybe they will work this time. Thanks for reminding me I had them.
    Fairytalemomof3

Answer by Fairytalemomof3 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009