My husband is leaving for the military soon. We will be unable to go with him for approximately 4 months so he can finish training and I have to go to court to be able to relocate to the base becaiuse I have joint custody of my son. I am an avid scrapobooker and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to make something to keep the kids and him well connected to one another while he is gone. I have a 10 year old and an 8 month old in our home. Thanks for any replies back.

copper960

Asked by copper960 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• When my husband was in Iraq, my son and I made a scrapbook for him. I made a few pages for each month he was gone that way he could see what happened in his son's life. I also had my son (who was 2 1/2 at the time) take a few pictures with a disposable camera. I got a small scrapbook and titled it "Through the eyes of Jeremy". He colored and decorated the pages and I attached the pictures. My husband loved it. Another thing I did was make a small scrapbook of pictures of daddy and son. There will be a lot of things you can do with the 10 year old but not a whole lot with the 8 month old. Although, my son started painting at 9 or 10 months. You could have your 8 month old paint a page as the background. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Jeremysmom had a great answer, I was thinking close to the same thing. When my DH is away, the kids write letters, make pictures, we do some handprint/footprint crafts, etc.
    shiningsoul

Answer by shiningsoul at 7:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• what a cute idea about the scrapbook I pray he will back safe and sound your older child will have a worse problem with daddy being gone the scrapbook the child helps with sounds so cool alot of people send videos back and forth I hope we get out of the war soon so many people are apart
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My ex was in Iraq for a year, and I hooked my son (now 10) up with an e-mail account so he could stay in touch with his dad.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i am dealing with my husband in afgan right now and i take pictures like crazy. and scrapbook them. some of the kids by themselfs and some together. my husband also send me pictures of himself and i scrapbook them and put them in its own book for the kids.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Jeremysmom had a great idea....especially if you're into scrapping! I have a few other ideas for you.....My sister's husband is in Afghanistan at the moment. Her daughter and son have written little books to send to him...your 10 year old would be able to do that. They also communicate with a webcam through Skype ( I think that's how it's spelled!). Also... One of my friends is an Avon rep...she sells a clock that has an alarm that you can personalize....you can have the kids talk (or babble...for the 8 month old!) and leave a personal message that will be played each time the alarm goes off...that way your hubby gets to hear their voices each day! My friend sent one to her hubby who is in Iraq...he loved it! You can also open up a facebook account...great way to communicate with each other and share pics, etc. Hope the 4 months pass quickly for you!!!!!
    LisaPW1008

Answer by LisaPW1008 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009