My 8.5 month old baby wakes up every hour. Help!

I don't know what to do. He used to wake up every 2-3 hours. Now he wakes every hour at night and wants to nurse for another hour. That gives me no sleep! I tried the pacifier and other things but he only wants my boob. He is teething, but every baby is and they don't wake up screaming every hour. He doesn't sleep much during the day either (only if I take him for a walk in his stroller). He won't lie down in his crib. I tried to let him cry but he will just stand in his crib and cry. He is not hungry at night (he doesn't want to eat that often during the day). I tried to co-sleep but he doesn't like it (he will try to climb up on me -hates to lie down). Any help?

Marianka81

Asked by Marianka81 at 8:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly don't know what you do about the nursing but i just wanted to say that i went through the teething phase with my daughter. We were up almost every hour for quite a while. Just hang in there and i hope it gets better! You could try and stretch out his feedings. Instead of eating every hour hold him off an extra thirty minutes and then after a little awhile he'll be on a new schedule. It'll take a little bit so don't give up. I know how frustrating it can be! GOOD LUCK!!!!
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Could he be going through a growth spurt? Sometimes babies will be very wakeful and very hungry when they're going through a growth spurt. Is it possible he just isn't satisfied with breast milk? Maybe you could try offering more solids or an extra snack before bed. Other than that, the only thing I can think is that babies who are overly tired have more trouble sleeping than well rested ones. So...if you have to go for a drive or a really long walk during the day so he can get a few hours of sleep...do it. You might find he sleeps better at night. Oh...are you sure nothing else is wrong? Ear infections can be tricky sometimes. My daughter has had two with absolutely no symptoms. If this keeps up, you might want to make a doctor's appointment.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He is not hungry! I feed him baby food. He doesn't have an ear infection. He is just teething and wants me to comfort him all night long :(. He is using me as a pacifier (but won't take the pacifier).

Marianka81

Answer by Marianka81 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• give him baby tylenol put orajel on his gums and he'll feel 1000 times better
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Hylands teething tablets work wonders!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2009