My 5yr old wants to know who comes to our house for St Pat's- a Leprechaun maybe? Is there some kind of tradition for this??

So my 5 year old knows that for Easter the bunny comes. I think they have been talking about leprechauns and such at school because he has been talking about pots of gold and rainbows and how to catch a leprechaun... So he wanted to know if a leprechaun comes to the house on St Patty's day... And if he could try to trap him...

I can't remember anything from my childhood about this. Is there some kind of tradition for this??? Should I let him try to set up a 'trap' and then put a small gift and note in it maybe??? Any help would be great. Hate to miss out on something. I had no clue how to answer him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• The only "tradition" I know is that if you don't wear green you get pinched.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• IMHO St. Patrick's Day is about celebrating Irish food, music and history. My favorite part was watching a parade if the weather permitted.

As far a leprechauns and presents go, there might be some traditions that involve treats. But that last thing kids seem to need is another treat/candy bearing holiday. So in our house we go with the basics I mentioned above. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Last year in my Son's preschool they gave each child a gold plastic coin for good luck. So you could go to a party store & get them & leave them out around the house for him to find on St. Pats Day. They told the kids that a Leprechaun brings luck to them.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:24 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• We recently had a library book for my 5yo that talked about a family that caught one. He promised to give them one wish if they let him go. They said they wanted a pot of gold, so he said to look in the back yard for an 'X' after he left. They checked out the back, and the whole yard was covered in X's.

I don't remember the title, but it made it clear the Leps are very mischievous.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• No but when my kids were in kindergarten and 1st grade their school had the kids build leprechaun traps. When the kids were out of the rooms the teachers left chocolate. They turned chairs over and messed up the room slightly to pretend a leprechaun came by.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My grandkids set up a trap every year...too cute. I was going to send you a link but there are more kinds than I thought. Google "trapping a leprechaun" and you'll see several. Plus I saw a youtube video. Have fun!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2013