Which speaks louder, actions or words?

Are you more likely to believe the way someone presents herself or the way they interact with others? Say, for example, someone who, at a glance, is a liberal Obama supporter, but goes out of their way to agree with someone who isn't just conservative, but known to be racist? If someone is inconsistent like that often, how much weight do you give to their opinions in serious questions like debates or health and relationships?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in About CafeMom

• depends on what the agreed on I guess. I think actions speak louder then words though.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• In general actions speak louder than words.
    This is definitely a things that make you go, hmmmmmm, scenario. (Man, I just dated myself).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• actions, always actions. words hold no meaning when the actions don't line up.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• ooh,I smell a controversy.....
    i'd certainly take another look at her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• It would depend on what they agreed on and why they agreed. I generally go off of how one behaves (how much they live by their own words) rather than what someone says. This is usually most accurate when looking at the behavior of those that I know.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• In the theoretical sense actions

in the literal sense

depends on the sound the action makes and the sound the words make

Using a blender is louder than talking

Yelling at the top of your lungs is louder than the TV on volume 4
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I agree that actions speak louder than words. On he other hand, I don't even try to keep up with who holds what political beliefs because there are so many people and differing opinions on the site. So I tend to take what someone says at face value in a particular discussion unless I've gotten to know her quite well and something radically doesn't match up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:34 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Generally speaking I would say actions speak louder than words. However each individual subject may find an individual on different sides of the fence. There are very few absolute liberals and very few absolute conservatives. The vast majority of the population is a mix of both, agreeing ith some conservative lines and some liberal and some in between.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• In debate credibility has a lot of sway. I would view someone who changes their position as the wind blows as less than credible.

I do think in life actions speak louder than words, but that is sometimes lost in translation when you look at someone's participation on an internet forum. I might agree with someone about one subject, but completely disagree with most of their other opinions here. I would think that would be ok, as long as by agreeing with that person I am not negating any previously held positions of my own.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I've always told my kids, "Don't tell me, show me" (in reference to their behavior) If they say they're sorry for doing something wrong, but then keep doing it, the words "I'm sorry" lose meaning. Show me you're sorry by not repeating the behavior.
    As for politics, well, let's face it, they ALL flip-flop & honesty & integrity is non-existent. As for us poor slobs who get to choose what moron we want representing us, I think there's a basic set of values we feel that person best represents. But that's not to say we can't see both sides of an issue. (unlike the idiots in charge!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2013