I'm looking for a good recipe for lentils.

Do you have a recipe your family likes? I've never cooked or had them before so I'm not even sure how they taste.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I cut up potatoes carrots & onions, sautée them with a little bit of garlic. Add to lentils cook with half chicken broth & water. It's so good. I also sprinkle in adobo & pepper
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Oh, how was the Italian beef?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• That sounds simple and good! About how long do they take to cook?

The Italian beef was out of this world crazy good!! I'm going to make it again soon!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I make a soup - 1/4 cup of lentils, can of chicken broth, 2 carrots (chopped), 1 potato (chopped - add this ingredient, or not), and the most important, sliced cajun hot sausage (gives it bite). Add water to desired thickness during cooking.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Oh my! Tasches I'm making that tomorrow. I just so happen to have andouille in the freezer.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Crescenti Lentil Soup

1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
    3 carrots, peeled and chopped
    3 medium potatoes, chopped
    1 large onion, peeled and chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    3 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, undrained, cut up)
    1/8 teaspoon marjoram
    5 cups water
    5 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
    1/2 pound lentils
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 zucchini, chopped
    1/3 head of cabbage, shredded

Combine everything except zucchini and cabbage in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours or till lentils are tender.

Add zucchini and cabbage. Cook on high for 45 minutes or till vgetables are tender.

Serves 8. This is a rich, thick soup, really more of a stew. Yummy on cold days.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I hope you liked it! I make that at least once every couple of months. I sooo love lentils (and they are good for you too!)
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Hello Gwen,

Lentils are the original source of cheap protein. For that reason they are popular around the world. I have been searching for years for easy and tasty recipes that are also nutritious, and I would like to recommend a great healthy meal site i.e. Sheffafoods Recipe guide where I found some interesting recipes for making tasty and nutritious food quickly and easily at home.
    melanietate

Answer by melanietate at 6:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2013