Another boxed cake question!

How far in advance can I make a boxed cake, and keep it refrigerated? I will be frosting it on Saturday, and we will be eating it Saturday night. Thanks!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 3:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't go more than a day or two unless you have time to freeze it after it cools and thaw it before you frost it. You have to account for how long you want the leftovers to be good after Saturday, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I suggest if you're baking a few days in advance,you freeze it and thaw it overnight Friday. Cake mixes dry out fast.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Jinx NP

• Bake it friday night & put it in the fridge.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Iwoul say to bake it iday night and do not refrirae it. Frost it Saturday and eat it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• You could bake it Friday if you wrap it tightly in foil after it comes out of the oven and then unwrap it and frost it Saturday. Otherwise the cake might dry out too much.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:18 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• You can always bake the layers and wrap and freeze them till you are ready for them. They will keep for 1 month in the freezer. Frost when you have thawed the layers.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 9:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Bake your cake, allow it to cool. Freeze until the day before and frost while it's still frozen. No crumbs and a better frosting job.
    If you don't have a cake cover, put a couple of toothpicks in the cake and cover. Toothpicks will keep the plastic wrap or foil from sticking to the frosting.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• If it was me I would bake your cake, let it cool then put it in a hard plastic container so the cake doesn't touch the cake then put it in the freezers. When you want to use it let it thaw at room temperature. Then frost it, before you serve it. It will be O.K. up to a month in the freezer. This has worked for me, its how you prepare it when you put it in the freezer. Good luck, I hope this helps!
    aflower

Answer by aflower at 12:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Cake mix cakes stay pretty fresh in the frige just make sure to keep it well covered to keep it from drying out. I would start the process about 3-4 days before serving. I would rather have a cake that has never been frozen.

I used to make gigantic decorated cakes for my girls' birthday parties . Needless to say, when you are making a huge cake you cannot make cake and icing, plus fill, tort, stack and ice the cake, then decorate all in the same day, especially if you are working as well. It was a three day process. Most bakeries do the same thing, especially for wedding cakes...even the from-scratch bakeries
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2013