Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane

Video at the link

A Maryland woman was shocked after she received a traffic ticket on Interstate 95 -- because it wasn't for speeding.

In fact, she was driving two mph under the speed limit.

The driver, who didn't want her name used, told News4 she was driving in the left lane of I-95 on Laurel last Friday when she was pulled over and cited for failing to move right.

According to the citation, she had been driving 63 mph in a 65 mph zone.

"[I was] really shocked," she said. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me'."

This was the first time she'd ever gotten a ticket -- but on Friday, she said, the area was experiencing heavy winds and she had slowed down to be safe.

"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

StormTeam 4 Meteorologist Doug Kammerer said winds were gusting at around 40 mph that day.

"The reason [the ticket] is silly is because it's sending the wrong message," said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic. "And that is, 'We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit, but it you drive below the speed limit, then you're penalized for that'."

The driver has filed a complaint with Maryland State Police and plans to fight the ticket.

While police said they can't comment on this specific ticket, they said that driving too slowly can impede traffic, and that anyone who wants to fight a citation can do so in court.

So let's hear it - is there ever a good excuse to drive steadily in the left lane, ignoring all the signs that say "slower traffic keep right", blocking semi trucks in the right lane that can't get over to let traffic merge in from onramps or move into the left lane when a cop has someone pulled over on the right shoulder?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not in my opinion. The left lane is for passing and slower traffic must move to the right lane. That means if people are passing you you should move to the next lane to the right.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• No there never is a good reason to that! They should issue MORE tickets for that, because of all of the reasons you mentioned. It's not just infuriating, it's unsafe and leads to a chain reaction of traffic.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Must be a slow news day.

The signs on keeping right are there for a reason. Even tho cars should be driving at the speed limit, she is putting people at risk.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Only reason I can think is if you KNOW you have a left hand exit coming up shortly (as in within the next half mile to mile and there is already heavy traffic.) But left-hand exits are RARE. So in NORMAL DRIVING CIRCUMSTANCES, No there is no reason to be driving steadily in the left hand lane. Move over!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• If she was doing less than 55mph in that lane I can understand but 2 mph under is not that slow
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• but 2 mph under is not that slow

Yes, it is if the traffic next to her has semis. That's slower than they're going, but not so slow that they can pass her in less than 5 or 6 miles. The exact problem I mention in the OP - she is endangering the lives of everyone trying to merge on from onramps and the truck drivers she has trapped in the right lane.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• It didn't say if she was passing someone...if she wasn't, unless she was in a state where you are not to drive in the left lane unless passing (I know PA has a 2-mile law), then she had all the right to be in that lane for as long as she wanted. And, for going below the speed limit, the cop is an idiot. It's a speed limit...LIMIT...which means not to go above. Did he pull anyone over going 66 that day? Because that is break the law, not going 63. Sounds to me like he was just being a jerk.

I find it ridiculous that the dangerous people are turning out to be the ones who drive around the limit...not the ones who drive 20 over it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• then she had all the right to be in that lane for as long as she wanted

MD has "slow traffic keep right" signs about every 50 feet. Regardless, she didn't get the ticket for the number on her speedometer, she got it for failure to yield and move into the right lane. If she'd been going 63 or 23, it's the same offense.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My dad got pulled over for driving too slow when we were little... they even did a sobriety test on him! He was completely sober, just a slow driver. No ticket.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I guess if she had a line up of cars behind her that's one thing. But this sounds like they needed to meet a quota or something. I hope she wins her day in court.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2013