Best way to keep money safe while traveling outside of the state ...

Am wondering what would be the safest way to keep my money safe while traveling.
I am going to panama visit family, and i obviously cant be carrying large amount of cash with me.
I hear that there is those prepaid card traveling one. but i don't know how exactly they work and if they are even safe?

have you ever travel outside somewhere , how did you manage your money to keep it safe?

I have a budget. I would like to keep it safe as possible.

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Travel

• Banks in the states usually have sister banks in other countries. Call your bank, and see what your local bank would be down in Panama.
    This is what I did when I went to Mexico.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Travelers checks.

Also consider getting a fanny pack and wearing it under your shirt/jacket.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• You need to buy a re-loadable Visa/American Express card, one that you can withdraw cash off from an ATM, the plain prepaid Visa's don't do it, of course you can use your regular ATM card at most large branch banks as well.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My sister buys a prepaid Mastercard directly from her bank when she travels. You might try calling AAA and just asking them. They would answer for free.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I've always used ATMs when traveling. That way I don't need to carry much cash. You should investigate how prevalent they are, which systems they're associated with, and what fees will be involved.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I've had good luck with traveler's checks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• A combination of all the above. Keep some on you, some in a hiding place at the hotel, some on cards, some travelers checks, etc. I wouldn't put everything in one basket.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• You can buy a money belt and bring a certain amount with you. Me and my DH went to Italy. We brought a certain amount with us and split it between us. Just in case we lost or someone stole half of it. We just brought our credit cards with use for other money.

Answer by louise2 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2013