Microwaving raw carrots?

In the mood for cooked carrots with dinner but all I have is raw baby carrots. Can I season them and pop them in the microwave? Approx how long?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Sure- or in water on the stovetop with a lid. Just til soft.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• If you're going to do them in the microwave, do them IN water. I had some bad experiences with burnt baby carrots before I tried doing them in water.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I do it all the time. My microwave is small so it takes mine 20 minutes. Add 2 or 3 tabletops of water.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Tablespoons not tabletops. Dang autocorrect. Lol!
    PandaGwen

• Steam them in the microwave or put them in water just enough to cover them and put a lid on the bowl. Till you smell carrots--check them every two minutes or so.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I have a pretty powerful microwave. It doesn't take mine nearly twenty minutes. Maybe a third that long, so I guess microwaves vary a lot.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• The microwave isn't any faster than the stove or oven in this case, and outside the microwave you can better control how they're cooking. Unless space is an issue, it would probably be easier to just throw them on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil in the oven or steam them on the stove.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I agree with NP ^ - microwaving them sounds nasty ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2013