How to deal with religious prejudice......

I am a proud Wiccan, and I want to share my religion with my children. My 7 year old daughter seems very interested in it......she is curious about the holidays, how to meditate, how to cleanse her self and more. She even has shown interest in learning about the occult and supernatural. I have always felt that my children should get to choose what they want to do when they want to do it, but now that my daughter is in school, I am afraid to let her express her interest in Wicca for fear of her getting ridiculed or even called bad names. My mother has told me that she should not be allowed to wear a pentacle to school because she will get picked on and beat up, yet she wants her to wear a cross. I want to let my daughter do what she feels is right, but is that a bad idea?

devinmendsen

Asked by devinmendsen at 8:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't feel it's a bad idea for her to do what she wants... I remember being young and being teased because I told people (and other kids) I was a witch. But I wasn't picked on any more than the mormon kids or the Jewish kids or anyone else... All kids are picked on. For one reason or another. I think it's important that your daugter learn to be herself no matter what that means. If it means she gets some extra razzing at school it's okay, that's what life is about. It will make her strongger in the end. I would explain to her that other kids do not believe the way you or she do and that they may treat her differently. I wouldn't "throw her to the dogs" without warning. But the truth is that the earlier she starts to wear a pentical the less teasing she will get. At 7 & 8 kids don't even know what it is and don't know that she's different. It's better that she starts young. She will make her friends and they won't care.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would also stress to her that she needs to understand that all the other kids aren't going to believe the way she does and that the other kids aren't going to understand. She will have to learn early to be respectful of other's beliefs. Even though they won't all be respectful of hers.

It's a good lesson to learn no matter when you learn it, so the sooner the better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would let your daughter do whatever she is comfortable with.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just tell her people she goes to school with will not understand her religion and I would have her not talk about it, because people are strange and you may wind up w/ ph calls and drama from everybody and your brother. (figure of speech but very possible).
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My mother is JW and tried to raise us that way. I NEVER shaired her beliefs and would tell the kids I was a witch. Of course I didn't know the true meaning of the word until later but it is still correct. My mother did have a few phone calls from other parents but it was rare. Usually it was because I told the other kids there was no Santa or something like that... Kids accept things as normal if they don't know better. It's only in middle and high school that religion usually makes someone stand out unless they are doing things that make them stand out... My mother always pulled me out of class parties and that stuff so I did stand out. But I think otherwise it wasn't a big deal. If the other kids get to know her now and also know she's wiccan, they won't think twice as she gets older and her choices really do make her stand out.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think Sabrina said it best. Help her to be proud of who she is. Surround her with protection every morning and let her know that you are behind her every step of the way. Knowing that she is supportive will help a great deal.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• At some point, she going to have to get comfortable with who she feels she is and what she want to learn, regardless of what it is. I don't think she should have to wear any symbols at all if she doesn't want to. If she chooses to, then she needs to be prepared for the criticism. It will always be there no matter what its about. Just the mere fact that a child has red hair or freckles or a birthmark causes ridicule. I think that once parents become secure within themselves and they begin teaching their children to be secure, it will minimize this type of social pressure to do and be. We are a bunch of insecure hurting people and in turn, thats what our children become. I don't share your faith but I think its great that you are willing to let your daughter choose for herself. Let her know all the ins and outs and then let her decide for herself.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My mother grew up with a Jewish mother in the 1950's. She experienced such hatred that she will have nothing to do with religion any more. She was always very uncomfortable with my desire to be a fully active Jew. She was just plain scared because of her childhood. There are too many people who are raised to hate anything that is different from themselves. Your daughter is likely to encounter intolerance just because you practice Wiccan. Let her learn and teach her to be accepting of others while recognizing that it is fear that motivates hate. Education is the key to understanding and tolerance.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This really depends on what the area you live in is like. Around here, I would expect a child to be harassed and tortured for being anything but Christian, which is why I fear for my son when he's older. Where I grew up, nobody would have noticed or cared. What kind of reaction do you get in public? Figure that is about what your daughter will see at school, only intensified by the filter of absolutes that come with 7 year old minds.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• no, this is not a bad Idea.. Most kids are more excepting of the Wiccan religion, than their parents are. I would tell her to wear it proudly, and if asked about it.. be sure to equipt her with the knowledge to explain her beliefs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009