Refusing solids of any kind

My 7 month old gags and almost vomits any time I try anything that is not stage 1 or stage 2 baby foods. Whether it is a smal small piece of ripe banana, gerber puff, small piece of soft bread, anything that you can think of that they say you should start as solids. I am not in a hurry, and she shows no real signs of needing more food. Is this gag reflex going to go away? When she feels something on her tongue that is slightly different then the baby foods, she turns bright red and cries, like she is really scared of what will happen. I don't know how to reassure her, especially since everything I give her dissolves on her tongue in a few seconds anyway. I assume the right answer is "she just isn't ready and stop trying" but will this just pass on its own and one day she will just eat something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Instead of a small ripe banana have you tried making it more the consistency of baby food? Like milk and banana in a blender, almost liquidy? At 7 months some babies are still on rice milk so yes, she may just not be ready.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• She might not be ready. However, I made my own baby food which was surprisingly easy and much much cheaper...so I just made each batch slightly thicker, then lumpier than the previous batch. By the time she was eight months she had plenty of texture in her foods and now that she is almost 10 mo., she refuses pureed food of any sort. It is all about finger foods right now. My point is, that mamaChamp is right...try something that is just barely a step up from what she is getting now. If you're gradual about it, she might not even realize it is happening.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Your assumption is probably right. Don't worry. Just offer again in a while. She'll eat when she's ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you try making your own babyfood you can tweek the consistancy a little easier. It worked for me. PLus it was cheaper and healthier and somtimes fun.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my dd did that--she just wasn't ready. i just waited a while and kept trying little things until she could handle it. it took quite a while. to this day she has quite the gag reflex.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2009