What to do for a rash that the Dr's don't know what it is?

My 11th month old has a rash all over his legs and arms and a little bit of his checks. It doesn't seem to bother him, no fever, and he hasn't had anything new, nor have I changed any soaps or anything. Took him to the dr yesterday and three of them looked at him and don't know what it could be. Said come back if it gets worse .... But I don't want to wait till it gets worse. Help us! It is a bumpy rash kinda feels like sandpaper.

Gtbmomma

Asked by Gtbmomma at 10:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I would say to change the laundry soap to a baby friendly one. If that doesn't he;lp in a couple f days change the soap to ivory or a baby friendly one.
    I am sure you are already doing baby friendly, I just mean to change the brands. Different ones may have different reactions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Does it get better or worse or is it always just there? Is it raised red bumps or red skin, or is it just bumps with no red or very little red? There are skin conditions that might resemble a rash, but are something else. My DD has keratosis pilaris that is like little bumps on her arms and legs, they get worse in cold weather and seem to be less noticeable after spending a little time in the sun and during the warmer months.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:03 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• give us a pic-
    gawd i cant believe i am asking for pictures :/
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• My now 8 yr. old had an itchy rash last year. It was so bad that the doctor gave him a prescription strength antihistamine. She said she would love to be able to say that it was "something" but the truth is that they don't know what causes 90% of rashes. Follow the doctor's advice (if she gave any.) And if it gets worse or baby is suddenly having other symptoms, go back to the doctor.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• It has gotten worse since it first started. It's raised red bumps... In trying to figure out how to upload a picture using my phone.. I'm new to this. But like I said I haven't changed anything been using all the same things and he's never had a probably before. Dr's didn't tell me anything to do... They said they couldn't because they didn't know what it was.
    Gtbmomma

Comment by Gtbmomma (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Reactions to things aren't always immediate. It could still be something you've always used. I would try changing detergents and soaps and the like (one at a time, so if it resolves, you'll have a better idea of which one caused it). If you want to try to ease the rash, you could try something like Aveeno - they have one for eczema that is supposed to ease itching, redness, etc. that might help.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Google Contact Dermatitis. Change your laundry detergent & his baby soap. If you are using FAB detergent that is the problem.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Go to a dermatologist.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2013