I did it, and I'm glad...but kind of ashamed of myself.

I just got a full-time day job on top of teaching nights at the local college, and gave up on my housework. I decided it was worth it to pay someone to do it (someone I've known for YEARS and trust very much).

Does this make me a snoody, spoiled, brat that doesn't take care of her own house? Or is it a reasonable thing to do if you have the need and the little extra money? Would you be embarrassed to tell your mom or husband that you needed the help? I definitely was! I could hear my mom telling me "I took care of 8 of you and managed to clean my own house" but she didn't!

Needless to say, I will NOT be telling anyone in real life unless it is to refer her. I just feel like I admitted "I can't do this myself."

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I would absolutely LOVE to have someone come in at least once a week and do things like dust the floor boards, wash the walls or tackle the kid's room.
    Good for you momma!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• BTW- I grew up with a weekly maid. I know what a life/ sanity saver they are.
    feralxat

• That is our agreement, once a week. Actually, over spring break she will be helping me get back to a "baseline" clean and get stuff sorted to take to Goodwill, and then once a week.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I have seen some of those posts of "you have a maid, so you must be lazy". IMHO, if those women ever had one they would STFU. And truth be told martyrdom doesn't look good on anyone :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I do not see the need for embarassment. If you work during the day you migh hire someone to watch your kids or daycare. If you work extra long hours an need help, and can afford the help, to clean the house.

At one time I owned a hre story house. One of my luxuries was to hire someone else to thoroughly clean the windows for me. It was worth every cent. And I was not one bit ashamed. LOL my neighbors were, when they were slapping their heads wondering why they hadn't thought of that. Since the following year we all book the same company for the same day, we allgot a discount as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• I would not fault you for it. You're living the dream!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Actually today, I worked right along side her while my husband took our kids out for the day. It won't be like that usually, I just don't start my full-time day job until next week. He works every second I am home and late into the night. He does the schoolwork with the kids (we homeschool) while I'm working. We already don't see each other, our plates are full, and I saw it as taking something off our plate and giving time back to our family. I just know how people see it and I guess that is the part that is embarrassing.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• For heaven's sake, don't be so hard on yourself. I do freelance work from home, and I've hired someone to help me clean for years. Maybe it's a lame justification, but I can make more money by working during the two hours she mops and vacuums my floors and cleans my bathrooms than I pay her to do it. Besides, it frees me up for more pleasureable mothering tasks. Enjoy it, and don't apologize.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Kudos to you! Don't be embarrassed about hiring a maid! You work hard and if hiring help gives you more time with your family, then that's great!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Oh, congratulations and glad you're feeling better :)
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2013