How Can I Get My 15 Month Old Off the Bedtime Bottle?

Lindsay4Ambit

Asked by Lindsay4Ambit at 12:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the bottles away?

We took all the pacifiers away from our kids the night before their first birthday. IT SUCKED for us parents for about a week, then things settled down again and the kids adapted.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:52 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Luckily he never really got attached to a paci. But he won't go to bed without the bottle. I was afraid to let him cry it out, we'll try it soon. We just cut his bottle gradually. We went from 10oz to 6oz and are now at 4oz.
    Lindsay4Ambit

Comment by Lindsay4Ambit (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• That's my other suggestion, gradually wean down to nothing in the bottle.

I just used the paci as an example of what we did for/to our kids. My son liked it more than my daughter. My husband and I both flat refused to have a 2+ year old trying to talk around a plug in their mouth. So, we decided that after 1 year old they didn't need it anymore. It was harder for US than the babies. It was VERY convenient, especially in the car, to just stick the plug in their mouth to shut them up quickly. After about a week though, both kids found other ways to sooth themselves. They're now 9 and 6 and Mommy is their security blanket in new situations.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• The only way I could do it with my daughter was just to toss the bottle once and for all. I did it, we both knew it, there was no going back. As long as there was a bottle in the house, she wouldn't give up till she got it. Some kids are more stubborn than others, but short of cold turkey, nothing worked for my daughter.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• You know how. Don't put her on.

How to do so peacefully is the question. All kids are different.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Bed time sipppy cup??
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• This was a hard one for us. DD was stubborn and we ended up having to just do it cold turkey. Eventually she switched over to a water filled sippy. At three we are finally switched all the way to a small drink from a cup. It really screwed up her sleep schedule for a while because she was upset. Not fun.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:41 AM on Mar. 13, 2013