How to stop "I want"?!

Ok, this has been driving me up the wall insane. My SO's 3 yr old daughter says to everything, I want! I don't give in and I am trying to teach her manners. However, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm also making sure that the other kids in the household are using their manners as well when they ask for stuff. Nothing seems to help. Everything is I want. "I want Dora" "I want pizza" "I want that" etc. When does this "I want everything" stop?

DarkRaevyn

Asked by DarkRaevyn at 8:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hmmmm. i started off early with my dd and i taught my dh's kids i dont listen to i want but i can hear i would like to have.....so now even years later mainly x mas time we hear alot of i would like to have that. i use to say to them well i want a million dollars and i cant get that so... lol. every time you hear i want say no.. i like to have maybe she'll catch on. good luck..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• hahaha...to answer the when does it stop? Never. LOL. I have learned with my daughter that worked the best was that when she said (and sometimes still says) "I want---" I won;t give it to her until it is followed by a "please". I feign deafness, or say "Excuse me, I didnt hear that right?". It took some time, but seemed to do the trick eventually. And the hard part is having other kids in the mix. Are the kids yours or you SO's? They may be just as hard to teach as the little one, depending on how "set in their ways" they are. Have you SO do it with you, to let the kids know that it isnt just your rule, but the family rule
    devinmendsen

Answer by devinmendsen at 8:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• LOL! My son is always "i Want-ing" it drives me nuts. So (and this probably sounds bad, since he's 4) I'll say "Well, I want a million dollars" or something like that. He usually giggles and then says "Mommy, can I please have......." Lately, He's starting saying "I want...." and then he waits and then says, "I know, a million dollars" it's kind of funny. Basically, correct the sentence. If it's I want Dora...........then you tell her "Do you mean, can I have dora please?" and just keep going with that, everytime she says I want. Don't give ANYTHING to her, until she says it the right way. She'll get it eventually.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Teaching manners takes time and lots of repetition. Every time she says something without using her manners, tell her how to say the same thing correctly and then have her repeat it back. If she doesn't use her manners, then just keep reminding her that she needs to use them. But don't equate using manners with a positive response - even if we know the answer is no, children still need to be reminded to use their manners. Also, make sure everyone in the house uses the same manners, even the adults, or else kids learn that they have to be polite, but adults don't, and that's not really fair.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• "You can have it when you ask correctly" and then model it. It will take a few times..okay, maybe more than a few...but it works.

"May I watch Dora, please?"
    "May I have pizza, please?" or "I would like to have pizza, please"

But they learn by example...so you need to follow through, too...(I mess up a lot! LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• when my daughter says i want, i say 'i'm sorry, i haven't heard you ask nicely'. if she asks nicely tell her yes or no and why not.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009