Raising kids in the military- opinion

For those of you who are military- All the sacrifices that you moms go through, is it worth it in the end? Would you do it all over again if you had the choice?? Would you prefer being military over civilian? Just wanting opinions, we're trying to decide what to do. Are all the benefits that the military have to offer really worth giving it a shot??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• i am a single mom in the army and if i could do it all over again i would have a normal job. i don't regret the past 6 years (i have a 4 yr old) but my daughter has basically been raised by my mother. it may be better if i had a supportive husband.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• NO. Don't do this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My husband was active duty. I liked the 96's for holidays and the health insurance. Deployments are stressful, but you get through them. I think it would be harder to be a mom and active, but if it gives you & your kids stability and a paycheck go for it. You can try to get a less-likely deployable job. I would recommend the Marines or Navy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Anyone else??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes! Deployments do suck but IMO the positives out way the negatives. You have a steady income, you have great benefits, and your child gets to experience different cultures. My husband also loves what he does. There are many people who go into the military just for the convenience and end up hating it. Do not be one of these people! Research every branch and every job. Be very wary of what recruiters tell you because the majority of them just talk out of their ass. They will promise you the job you want but when you get in you realize you're doing something completely different. We personally love being a military family but it definitely isn't for every one. Good luck!

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My husband is in the Army. The deployments suck... but it is worth it. You have to be a strong family and strong individuals though. We love this life and wouldn't change it for the world. HOOAH ;)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I guess I am trying to figure out for the people that say no, what reasons are behind that. We have discussed being away from each other, and that our marriage would have to be rock solid. I'm sure that would be hard. My main concern right now that I can't seem to answer, is how will it effect my kids? Will they be resilient (sp?) and bounce back as long as I keep them busy?? Or will it completely change them?? I don't want this decision to ruin my kids b/c their daddy is gone. That is my MAIN concern. Moving around, me and him being separated, that really isn't worrying me as much as the kid thing. I have lost sleep over this, and it's driving me NUTS. One minute I'm considering all the benefits, (including the fact that my husband REALLY wants to do this), and then one minute I'm full of "WHAT IF'S". Idk.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ok let me give you this point of view= I was a marine corp brat. My daddy left for desert storm and a few other deployments. I don't feel like I missed out on anything, and I sure as heck didn't hate my daddy for leaving. I missed him a lot. I know we gave Mom a hard time. But it wasn't traumatic, or life changing and it definitely didn't ruin us. We grew up just fine. The kids will change... thats what they do is grow up and change. And you won't really notice it but he will if he deploys.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My girls have been in the military life ever since they were born. My suggestion to is give them plenty of activity's especially when hubby is gone. My daughters have done great there happy and they know there daddy loves them. You have to make them realize that there daddy is doing something very important make them feel proud of there daddy. I also think it's a good idea in these day and times because it is a steady paycheck and medically your kids will always be taken care of. I hope this helps. Oh and i also want to say for you and ur hubby Absence makes the heart grow stronger:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I mean founder lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2009