• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone ever go through this :( ???

Well my 7 yr. old son has been good in school all this time until 2 weeks ago he started to act up in school, (inappropiate language, fighting, not paying attention in school, I mean just being plain dumb) I talk to him and he said ok I will be good, then he messes up again so my dh had to talk with him and he stopped for alittle bit then he starts up again. So my dh decided to give a really good spanking. :(
Not even 10 minutes goes by and he starts up with his sister OMG! I don't know what else to do. My dh and I were talking on how he has no clue whatsoever. What could be going on in his head. We don't want to keep spanking him or punishing him alot it does not work we talk it does not work it doesn't seem to phase him.
I don't know what else to do. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe get him a physical checkup. Also ask the teacher if he hangs around a new group of children. Is there something changed in his life? new neighbor, new family event?

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Is there anything "new" in his life? New school, new sibling, new baby in the family (anywhere), loss of a grandparent, new teacher, did one of his friends move away?? I would just ask him a bunch of questions as to why he may be feeling upheaveled. Getting a checkup is a good idea, too. It may just be that he's feeling like he's not being heard or maybe there's a new kid in school that's being a bit of a bully to him and he's trying to be defensive?? I would say that the most likely reason to his sudden change in behavior is because of a sudden change in his life. Check into it all. Good luck!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Take away favorite toys/games. Take away privileges. Restrict his freedoms until he "gets it!" Praise him when he does right, repeat taking away things he likes when he doesn't. Sounds like he's pushing the limits to see what he can and can't get away with. Be fair, and above all CONSISTENT! You and your husband HAVE to agree on the punishment. You don't seem to like that your husband spanked your son, your son is going to pick up on that, and use it to manipulate one or both of you.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Read the 10 love languages of children. This helped me alot! After reading the book the fix for me was having a "date" a few times a month. A little fix with big results.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm having the same problem with my son right now. I don't like spanking him eithier (but I will). I try to talk to him everyday and find out if he has any worries that are making him act out. I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's in a new school, but still, I know how frustrating it can be when they just don't get it! I got a call from his teacher who said he wasn't cooperating. When I talked to him later I found out the kids were picking on him so he didn't want to be in their group. I discussed this with his teacher. Just keep talking to him on a daily basis and maybe he will open up about something that could be bothering him. Good luck and I hope everything works out!
    Anonymous