the variety of ways to give birth...

I have been induced twice and had an epidural both times. I have come to realize through this site that there are many different ways to go through the process of giving birth and I would like to do some research this time. I had great experiences and will probably do it the same way this time but I was wondering if you momma's could help inform me on the different ways?

A home birth is not an option- so no matter what I will be giving birth in the hospital, but my ob gyn office offers both doctors and midwives.

* I am not looking for right or wrong as everyone has their own idea in that respect I am just looking for info*

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 9:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are so many option out there: but going to a hospital minimizes those: just being honest. Most hospitals don't allow water births, and won't leave you alone enough to really enjoy birth!

If you do go to the hospital I recommend staying home as long as possible, read some books on natural pain management such as "Hypnobirthing", "Birthing From Within", and on the Bradley Method! That way you can find something that works for you! :)

Don't allow vaginal exams (one if you want it, but minimal exams), don't allow continuous fetal monitoring (you can get intermittent monitoring... continuous doesn't improve outcomes), either get no IV or a hep lock, have the room dimmed, stay mobile and open your mind to different laboring/birthing positions! Squatting and all fours can really help move the baby down the pelvis! Also many women labor on the toilet lol.. I know it seems weird but gravity helps a lot!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd stay home as long as possible, then go into the hospital & have the baby naturally without drugs. The pain isn't that bad & you're able to move & push effectively. The energy afterwards is cool too. I like having a midwife that supports natural birth and isn't so pushy towards all the unneeded drugs and monitoring.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• So lets get this straight.

You want to research different ways to birth.
    But -
    You WILL get an epidural (even though it comes with risks to baby)
    You WILL be induced.

So you have ruled out ANY form of natural birthing.

You WILL have the baby at the hospital.
    You refuse to have a home birth.

Hmmm, so lets see, that leaves you with a c-section or a water birth. Go ahead and google them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I said I will PROBABLY do it the same way. I am trying to be open minded.
    It is hard to do so when many natural birth proponents are so sure that their way is the only way that they feel the need to belittle those of us who do it differently even though our relationships with our children are just as strong- and our birth experiences were just as beautiful
    Anony I hope you realize that by sounding so incredibly self righteous you just weaken the good points of what you are trying to do and make many women just not want to listen.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 9:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• To the PP, she said she would *probably* do it the same way, not definitely. To the original poster, I would get the book entitled "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". It clearly outlines alternative ways to birth, and everything the author shares in her book includes copies and excerpts from medical studies in the appendices to back up what she's saying. I feel like I'm making a very educated decision about my birth plan and I really recommend the book.
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 9:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• And I hope you realise that putting your fingers in your ears and going "La la la la la" while people tell you the simple facts about how to make sure that you do the right thing by your kids rather than just do it the easy way, makes you seem like you do not put your children above all else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• As I said in the original question I am not looking for RIGHT or WRONG opinions. I am looking for information. Why would I ask for info if I weren't planning on listening? Also, I saw no "simple facts" in your posts, I saw judgement.

I hope that any responses I may get in the future will be like the first Anony and Yakamoz. I appreciate that these ladies have actually given me helpful answers and I will certainly be getting that book when I go out later. Thanks!
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 9:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Simple facts. :)

--- http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm#hypotension
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I've given birth a variety of ways. My first was induced with an epi. Second was spontaneous with an epi. Third was an emergency c-section(general anesthesia). Fourth was a planned c-section(spinal). My fifth was an unmedicated homebirth. My sixth due 2 days ago will be the same. I much prefered the natural birth to the others. I knew after that birth just what I'd been missing before. I second the book above. My midwife was so different from what I was used to, I'd never use an OB again. It's likely the midwives you'd see in an OB office would be more medical minded though but hopefully you'll notice a positive change. Good luck with your choice.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• wow Pauline you have had quite some experiences- Thanks for the input.
    I don't know about the midwives being more medically minded, I honestly have nothing to compare to. I do know that my practice has like 12 different porfessionals so that they can facilitate a wide variety of births.
    My next appointment is with a midwife so I will be asking about the options available there.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2009