How much did you pay for a swingset?

What's a good price? Wood or metal? How long did it last? Did you anchor it into concrete? I've been looking...yikes some of them are pretty pricey, but I'm afraid to go with too cheap & it ends up falling apart.

RugersMommy06

Asked by RugersMommy06 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• we got a faux cedar set, it is a pretty reddish color and they even faked the cedar smell but it is obviously pine...hehe.
    it came from walmart and was about 350.it is not anchored into the ground, it has been played with for one summer. It is a very nice set, the girls love it.
    It has two swings, one teeter totter style swing (two person back to back thing) and a tree house and on one side a picnic table. and a slide.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We paid 150 for a used wood set from playground world that is around 2600. It's awesome and we have had  for 5 years now. It didn't have to be anchored in cement. I don't know anything about the metal swings. Look in your local paper, that is how he found ours. Try craigslists too. They are local face to face and cash only.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My husband built ours 5 years ago, and it's as solid as our home! He bought the plans and accessories from http://www.detailedplay.com/ (ours looks just like the one shown in the header/banner).

I think we ended up paying about $1100 as shown in the picture. And we can always expand on this system and add "bigger kid" accessories as our children get older and get more into climbing and the use of the fort or second fort.

I have no doubt we're going to have this set for MANY years to come! It took my husband and a friend of his (who has lots of tools!) two weekends to cut and assemble everything. I think anything store bought--whether assembled or assembly required will just fall apart. I've driven around my neighborhood after some really bad storms ony to see "pre-fab" sets scattered about in varying stages of disrepair...but ours is still standing!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We bought a metal one for our kids first swingset. It rusted and BROKE by the time it was 18 months old. Our next set was a wooden set from Wal-Mart. It was a little less than $400 and has held up much much better. We just treat the wood occassionally to keep it from rotting and it looks nice. We have had a couple things break, but we called the manufacturer and they sent us replacement pieces for free. We thought that we would have to pay for them, since it was technically our fault that they broke, but they said "no problem". So I think that for the money we spent and the fact that the manufacturer stands behind their product, that we got a good deal.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We have a wood one and it was $1500.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We have a metal one that we bought last april, it was $200. It is still in great shape, but we did have to cement it in and even still, it rocks. That could just be our ground though, it might be too soft even with cement. It has a slide, glider, 3 swings, and a little helicopter blade type thing on the end that circles around. It's also got the little swing...I can't remember what it's called, but the one where you can hang your knees over it and have your head down by the ground. My kids love it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thanks. Looks like we'll be saving up a little more.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2009