Have you ever gotten a letter...

From the Dr.'s office or another important appointment type place to complain about you missing an appt? But in truth you DID show up for said appt? We got one on Sat from the clinic saying we missed an appt i made for my daughter. But what really happened is we showed up for the appt and waited over an HOUR and then finally told the receptionist that we had to leave because we had been waiting so long and it was past lunch time and we had other stuff to do! I was already MORE than upset about the waiting and my daughter was SOOO fidgety and bored and then not really feeling well that I didn't even want to try rescheduling, just told the lady that if she still felt bad the next day we'd call back to reschedule. Well turned out my daughter got over it on her own and I never called em back. I thought it might've been strep so that's why we were going in but was probably just her allergies making her sinuses drain into her throat and causing irritation. I'm just so pissed off that they sent me a letter complaining about us not showing up when we DID show up and waited so long and had to leave! I tried calling the Clinic manager but all I got was her voice mail and I highly doubt she'll call me back @@ I think its time to find a new clinic for us though, we were kinda happy with the one doctor we see at this one but if he is unavailable and we have to see a different doctor it has NOT been a good experience (like the one we left from). then again we live in a small town and don't have that many choices left :-/

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 10:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I go to the dr's and see a bunch of people in the waiting room I always ask the receiptionist how long it will be. If they say it will be 15 minutes then I bug them at 15 and every 10 minutes after that. If they are honest and say 60 minutes I'll ask to reschedule or if I have something that can be done quickly I'll let them know I will be back in 30 minutes. I've never had any trouble with this especially when I've had kids with me.

I did get one once from the dentist but I completely forgot that appointment so I made sure to apoligize when I called back to reschedule.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I would respond and let them know that!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Do you still have to pay the fee for the visit?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I always feel bad when people have bad experiences with their kids doctors, I did at first with ours but they quickly righted it and I just love the pediatricians there. I would just leave a message and if she doesn't call back by three or so I'd call again.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I would be writing a letter (not an email) to the Office Manager,, and CC-ing each of the doctors, explaining what happened and complaining about it. Then, I'd find a new doctor.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I received a bill one time for missing an appointment. I know that I HAD to pay for it, or the Dr. wouldn't see me any more. After that I switched Dr's. Now I ALWAYS remember to call and and cancel...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I think doctors should have to compensate you for your time if you wait over an hour for an appointment, especially for a sick child. That's ridiculous.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• In the last small town I lived in, it is rare that I had under a 45 min wait at my primary care Dr or OB. An hour was pretty much the norm unless I could get an early appointment. If my DD was with me, I always brought stuff for her to do/snack on.

Send a letter back to them explaining your reasons for leaving.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I always check in with mine to be sure everyone is running on time. All but 2 of our Dr.s have signs that say clearly, if you have not been seen within 15 minutes , please inform the receptionist. Since they have put up the signs and made that policy everything has been better, well except for those few that never show up on time and expect to get put in any way.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• No, I've only gotten a letter notifying me of a missed appointment that I actually missed. I went to pay for it (that's their stated policy) and they forgave the charge.

It sounds like maybe their office computer program generates that information based on what is notated? Like the reminder calls are prompted by their scheduling software, and someone takes the info & makes the calls (or else they are automated calls.)

So maybe they did not make a note of the situation/change the info in the computer at the time, as they should have.

I hope you can let them know about it and clarify what happened, even if there's no penalty involved with a "missed appointment."

Looking for a new situation sounds like a good idea, but since you feel like your options are limited (and you actually like your doc) maybe just take action to begin exploring, rather than informing them of your intentions or leaving the practice preemptively.

GL!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2013