What Medicine can I give my 3 month old?

My daughter has a runny nose and she has a little cough, she sounds like she's doing a fake cough. But she's really stuffy she can't even breath , so I've been suctioning her nose all night. Can I give her anything or do anything to help her out?

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can only give pain/fever reducer. Call your pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Try benedryl. I think..............double check with the dr though. But benedryl, I think is something they can give infants. Otherwise, try a humidifyer
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Nothing to give her. Sit in a steamy bathroom to loosen mucus. Use a humidifier or vaporizer. You can put breastmilk in her nose. Elevate the head of where she sleeps. You can get a vapor plug or a vapor fan.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Benadryl is for allergies. I wouldn't give it for a cold, and certainly wouldn't give it to a baby that young, but that's me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Baby tylenol is the ONLY thing you can give a baby that young, you can't even give them ibuprofen yet. Like a previous mom said sit in a steamy bathroom and let the vapors clean out her nose. thats what I had to do with my son. The tylenol will help her to feel better and the steamy bathroom will help her to drain out the nasties in her nose. GL momma! (if you need to chat let me know)
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My Dr. told me to use saline (make sure you check the bottle REALLY carefully) drops in her nose to loosen the mucus in her nose before you suck it out. Try the steamy bathroom and the humifier. Sorry, you can use anything else. I know it's hard to watch them suffer.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• please do not give any medications to your baby, she is too young!!
    have you taken her to the doctor? what did they recommend?
    you can use a saline solution to help unclog the nose and also a humidifier to help keep her more comfortable at night.
    if you are nursing you can put a few drops of breastmilk up her nose and that will help, too.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't give her anything.. Make she she is hydrated.. Breastmilk is perfect.. Fevers, coughs and runny noses are the bodies way of trying to purge or kill the germs that are invading her.

IMO it is not safe to give a baby that young anything other than the tinest does of tylenol....even then I have a hard time with that. A fever is a bodies way for killing a virus. Why interfere with that?
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Saline drops for her nose are about all you can do at her age.
    You could give Tylenol if she had a fever... however, at 3 months I wouldn't give any before talking to your doctor. Doctors are concerned about fevers in children 3 months and younger.
    She Cannot have benadryl as someone suggested, she is too young and it can cause a baby to become too sleepy and forget to breath!
    You might want to have her tested for RSV - it causes VERY snotty noses and right now RSV is spreading like wildfire!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I give my DD a bath and do the saline and booger bulb in the tub. I also use the humidifier. I also BF her in a more elevated position. You might want to elevate her head when she sleeps. My girlfriend rolls up a receiving blanket and places it under the fitted sheet, she swears by it. She contours it to cradle the head in an elevated position.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009