Should I train my dog with a pinch collar or positive reinforcement only?

I hired a dog trainer and he recommends using a pinch collar. It looks so barbaric!

Is it better to just use positive reinforcement and treats?

What do you think? (My dog is a Bernese Mountain Dog; she's 18 months old.)

NearSeattleMom

Asked by NearSeattleMom at 1:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Pets

• A pinch collar can be an effective training tool if you know how to use it. Getting the dog's attention with a quick snap is a far cry from strangling him. The dog pulls too hard on a walk, you snap the collar. He stops pulling, you praise him immediately. Dogs have very muscular necks, so if applied properly, the collar won't hurt him. But if you feel a pinch collar is inhumane, there are other options such as body harnesses and head halters like the Gentle Leader.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Ask yourself,would YOU like to be wearing something that hurt you??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I think you should try wearing it first & see. JK.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I think it would be ok for training but I have only ever used it during walks with my dog bc he pulls me to the point where I'm falling on my ass! He does a lot better with it. And once his walk is done the pinch collar comes off
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I amnot a fan of them. understand the desire to use them hen the dog is too much dog for you but I am not of the persuasion. I am not a fan of the pain collars either.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• The trainer says the dog only understands "strong" and "weak". He also says the dog doesn't care if she hurts ME, which is true. And she only gets a correction (tug on the collar) if she does something she shouldn't do. I have to say, it really has changed her behavior while walking--but I still feel hesitant when I look at that collar. (She has very long fur, too, so he says that she doesn't feel it unless she's being corrected.)
    NearSeattleMom

Comment by NearSeattleMom (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I have two Siberian Huskies...they are known to be one of the most independent and stubborn breed of dogs out there (in other words, hard to train). I trained both of them by myself using positive reinforcement. I would have never (NEVER) put a pinch collar on them. Also trained two Huskies before these two using nothing but positive reinforcement.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• We have a headstrong German wirehaired pointer and have used a shock collar from time to time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2013