The new pope: single mothers are ok, but gay adoption is discriminating against the child

Too progressive, not progressive enough? As well as can be expected for a church that outlaws birth control?

(for those who've missed the Twitter flood - Bergoglio is the new Pope Francis I)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Of course lots of little babies are what the Church wants. They want to multiply; it's always been part of their agenda to make a many new little Catholics as possible. It's the main reason the Church is against all forms of birth control. Too bad they can't accept same-sex couples who can make fine parents for all those little babies. The Catholic Church is a very bigoted institution, and I have zero respect for it. Now, please understand that I'm talking about the INSTITUTION, not individual followers. Many of them are far more liberal and humane than their leaders.  The institution is archaic and anachronistic.  It would take a bonafide miracle to bring it into the 21st Century and relevant to the modern world.  And, since I don't believe in miracles, I sincerely that much will change.  As Mrs_Prissy said, "Meet the new Pope, same as the old Pope."

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• honestly, its naive to think a new pope means massive reforms to how the Catholic Church works & thinks. the single mothers being okay is surprising enough. the article makes him sound like he's very concerned with the plight of the poor and i bet thats why he was elected...he represents what the Catholic Church needs to remind ppl of, its charity.

do i disagree with him...well does the pope wear a funny hat? (been waiting for a chance to use that old thing haha).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• he represents what the Catholic Church needs to remind ppl of, its charity.

Which is why the American cardinals will hate him and won't listen to him any more than they were listening to the last 2.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Well, it's a good thing my cousin & her spouse are not Catholic. Wonder what he would think of my cousin's spouse being artificially inseminated so they could have a child. We feel it's a blessed event, regardless of what others may think. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Wow, it didn't take him long to piss people off, I guess.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Good choice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• was raised catholic and in my opinion if it can be changed by one man then it was never "god's law" and the whole idea that divorce is against natural law cracks me up. Marriage was a thought and process made up by man!!
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 7:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2013