The new pope: single mothers are ok, but gay adoption is discriminating against the child

Too progressive, not progressive enough? As well as can be expected for a church that outlaws birth control?

(for those who've missed the Twitter flood - Bergoglio is the new Pope Francis I)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• "Or at least it did - that might change now"

It might but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's hard to have a lot of confidence in a man who stated (with regard to gay marriage)

"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

Seems a little duplicitious to speak those words out of one side of your mouth and then encourage "respect" toward the gay community out of the other
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Until there is a 35 year old pope the church will remain stagnant and waning. Doesn't matter that he's a Jesuit or from Argentina.

Meet the new pope....same as the old pope.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.
    *************************
    what a prick.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Of course lots of little babies are what the Church wants. They want to multiply; it's always been part of their agenda to make a many new little Catholics as possible. It's the main reason the Church is against all forms of birth control. Too bad they can't accept same-sex couples who can make fine parents for all those little babies. The Catholic Church is a very bigoted institution, and I have zero respect for it. Now, please understand that I'm talking about the INSTITUTION, not individual followers. Many of them are far more liberal and humane than their leaders.  The institution is archaic and anachronistic.  It would take a bonafide miracle to bring it into the 21st Century and relevant to the modern world.  And, since I don't believe in miracles, I sincerely that much will change.  As Mrs_Prissy said, "Meet the new Pope, same as the old Pope."

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• honestly, its naive to think a new pope means massive reforms to how the Catholic Church works & thinks. the single mothers being okay is surprising enough. the article makes him sound like he's very concerned with the plight of the poor and i bet thats why he was elected...he represents what the Catholic Church needs to remind ppl of, its charity.

do i disagree with him...well does the pope wear a funny hat? (been waiting for a chance to use that old thing haha).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• So much for an open minded Pope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 3:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I think it's a step forward, not leaps and bounds, but going forward nonetheless.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Those damn bigoted non-anons.
    Anonymous

• this one more open minded than many others that could have been

*good luck to him

**a.k.a. prays for him
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Well, it's a good thing my cousin & her spouse are not Catholic. Wonder what he would think of my cousin's spouse being artificially inseminated so they could have a child. We feel it's a blessed event, regardless of what others may think. 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2013