Pneumonitus

My son was diagnosed with this friday, and we spent the weekend in the hospital. The nurses couldnt tell me too much about it, apparently none of them had heard about it before. The doctor just said it was inflamation of the lungs. My son is doing great, but is there anyone out there who has had to deal with this before?? Im still really scared and worried about my baby. He's 5 months old. They admitted him because his blood oxygen saturation was around 90. When we left, it was averaging around 96-97. Is there somewhere that any of you know of that I can rent an oxygen saturation monitor, just for a little piece of mind.
Im not finding too much about pneumonitus on the internet, so I'd love to hear someone elses story about it.

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pneumonitis is a general term that refers to inflammation of lung tissue. Pneumonia is one type of pneumonitis caused by an infection. Many other factors can cause pneumonitis, including breathing in animal dander, inhaling small food particles "down the wrong pipe" and receiving radiation therapy to your chest. A cough and difficulty breathing are the most common signs and symptoms of pneumonitis.

Sounds like your son is doing better. I am glad to hear that. I know how scary watching a child with trouble breathing can be. My 2 y/o has asthma and is sick often with infections in his lungs so we have been through breathing trouble a lot too. Pulse OX of 96-97 is good. My son was at 84 one time and his only symptom was wheezing. He still played, ate, and drank fine. I don't know much about pneumonitis but maybe somebody else can help you. Good luck!
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 11:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Having an oximiter at home would probably not give you piece of mind... it would probably scare you! The numbers on the machines can drop and the child is just fine and unless you are trained in understading the machine you wouldn't know how to read it (when it's a true low oxygen and when it isn't)

That said... if your child seems better then his stats are probably just fine. If he seems to be getting worse or his medications are helping I would bring him back in.
    Watch for signs of distress- retractions (pulling in of the skin on the neck and chest) breathing fast (more than 50 in a minute consistantly)

Putting his crib matress at an incline with a pillow under the matress helps ease the work of breathing and keep a humidifier in his room
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yeah, the numbers kept dropping at the hospital, he was hooked to one constantly for 50 hours. We learned that if he moved alot the numbers dropped, and they dropped some when he slept, but i brought home a stethescope, and his lungs sound pretty clear ,so im trying not to stress too much. Thanks for answering.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• how is your little one doing
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• He's good. Went to dr. today,everything is cleared up.
    Thanks for the answers and concern.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009