Using a bag of corn as an ice bag? adult content

I have been having HORRID sciatic nerve pain the past two days.

I am using a bag of corn to ice my back/butt several times a day.

Meaning the corn is getting thawed- my ass is hot- and re-frozen

No eat the corn?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Health

• I wouldn't eat it. Just throw it in a ziploc bag and voila new ice pack lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• DO NOT eat the corn... and get to the doc and ask for a PT referral!! I used to work with patients with sciatica in the PT clinic... great outcomes if you do the home program they give in conjunction with the treatments!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Won't eat the corn.

No health insurance.

By treatments do you mean ice and stretching?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Definitely don't eat that bag.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• You should alternate between hot & cold for sciatic pain at least that is what my DR told me.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• What I read was ice for the first three days and heat after that if necessary
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• By treatments do you mean ice and stretching?

That's part of it... plus manual therapy, mechanical US, E-stim and maybe a few other things as well... that is what will really help.

And FYI.... alternating between hot & cold is OUTDATED advice!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I've done that, the corn will be gross so toss it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

You will get more of a benefit from ice as long as you have pain!! Ice penetrates up to 1 1/2 inches, heat only about 1/2 inch. Ice will cool the area, killing pain more effectively and signaling that there is a problem. When the body goes to rewarm the area it will not only increase blood flow but send in more red (nutrient rich) blood cells and tons more white blood cells than heat ever will. They will help in the healing process. You can heat for 10 minutes before stretching if exercise is out of the question to warm the muscle.... but icing when you have pain (and/or swelling) is imperative to the healing & pain killing process. That's just part of the science behind heat vs ice. I NEVER use heat in my practice unless it is to get a better stretch out of a large surface muscle.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Take naproxen (Aleve) if you have it... and not to be all up in your biznass, but are you close to your period? My sciatic pain gets horrible around that time of the month. The bloating puts extra pressure on the nerve. Try stretching if you can.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2013