16 month old behavior?

When my 16 month old son get mad, upset or throws a temper tantrum he like wails his head backwards like he's trying to bang the back of his head type manner. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or he's trying to express his frustration because he can't talk yet. And also is it normal for 16 month olds to not really be talking. He says up and babbled and kinda says ma? Thank you :)

sneakysnake740

Asked by sneakysnake740 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's very common at this age. Kids know what they want but don't have the words to express it yet. After a while my DD started running to the room with carpet before shed throw herself head first on the floor.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• I'm just worried if it's like a behavioral issue I'm just hoping he grows out of it once he starts talking
    sneakysnake740

Comment by sneakysnake740 (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• If he understands you when you speak I wouldn't worry about it.  At this age it's more important to make sure they can hear and understand simple directions.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• He understands everything he points to thing he wants and if I point and it's not what he wants he shakes his head no. He say "up" when I pick him up says ma and screams and babbles a lot when he feel like it. If I tell him to get his ball or his book, bring it to me he listens and follows commands. I just wish he was saying more I feel like he's behind lol first time mom worries a lot I'm sure you know that
    sneakysnake740

Comment by sneakysnake740 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• It is normal. DS banged his head on the wall for a while whenever he got mad. He outgrew it. I wouldn't worry about the speech thing yet either. Some kids just start talking a little later than others. He sounds like he knows what you are saying, he just isn't ready to talk yet.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Thanks for all the reassurance I've just been stressing about it lol
    sneakysnake740

Comment by sneakysnake740 (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2013