Is this normal for a boy?

My son is 7 and in the 2nd grade. He only ever talks about spiderman and Batman. All the time. He talks about nothin else. You can try to make him talk about something else but he will figure out a way to make it about spiderman. He does this at school to. He has gotten in trouble for only writing and talking about super heros. And according to the teacher he is annoying the other kids with it. She says he really has no friends in the class and she feels this is part of the reason. He has always been like this but it used to be Thomas the Train, then Buzz Lightyear and now it is Super Heros, especially Spiderman. It is like he is obsessed! Is this normal? what do I do about it?

ANTHONYandELIZA

Asked by ANTHONYandELIZA at 9:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Normal, my son went through a Thomas theTrain, and dinosaur phase. He talked about nothing else. He's 13 now, it's not a problem.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• If it is interfering with his ability to create friendships I would mention it to his ped just to get their opinion.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• has aspergers been ruled out?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• yes,sounds like Asperger's

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• What is Asperger's? Nothing has been ruled in or out because no one ever seemed concerned about it until this year. They just said he was immature and very active. But this year his teacher thinks I need to stop letting him talk so much about super heros.
    ANTHONYandELIZA

Comment by ANTHONYandELIZA (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• My stepson is seventeen now, and he has Asperger's. He still gets on one subject that might not be of any interest to those around him and sticks to it. Is your son having any other problems? There are probably lot of obsessed little ones out there who do not have Asperger's, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• My brothers went through spells like that around this age. One wouldn't take off his Underdog costume from Halloween. He was definitely the "weird" kid in class for a while. If you read up on Asperger's and don't think that it sounds like your son, then I would chalk it up to a weird phase.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2013

• Normal. When my brother was that age, it was Spider Man. He used to do that thing where he thought he had real webs coming out of his wrists... OMG.... let him be a kid while he can. No big deal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:09 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Ds liked spiderman at age 4, at 7 now in grade 2 he is all about Halo. He does have other interests though, maybe get him into a sport or something?
    Anonymous

• Yes, definitely sounds just a tad overboard. Does the school/school system have a psychologist you could talk to to get him evaluated?

"A child who avoids meaningful interaction with other kids, preferring to play exclusively with an invented friend, may be experiencing psychological distress. Imaginary friends eventually disappear, but if a child continues to focus only on an invented companion you might consider consulting a professional to determine if the child has any underlying concerns or anxieties" (Read rest of the article here: Aboutourkids.org)

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:13 AM on Mar. 15, 2013