A teen employee made a comment to me today...

Commented on how big my baby was and how I must feed her a lot of good food. I looked her in the eye and said " just breastmilk!"

I don't think she had ever heard of breastfeeding because she gave me the most confused look and slowly backed away.

Is that a strange reaction? Was it something I said?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, some people, especially younger ones, are just freaked out about the whole breast feeding issue. I was when I was a teenager too. Don't worry about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I think it depends on what you grew up around and view as normal. I always knew that if I had children, I would breastfeed. It was always normal to me. A lot of people are weirded out by breastfeeding though, which is a bummer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:22 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• you said breast...and enthusiastically. plus, most teen girls dont put boobs & having babies together cause all they see on TV is bottles.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:23 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I did say it loudly with a big smile. Guess that could confuse a young lady...
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• What?! You put your bewbie in your baby's mouth? W.T.H.?
    Tee hee
    have you seen this commercial yet? This is finally me and it only took 6 kids :)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:28 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Most teen girls still think of breasts as fashion accessories.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• That would have made me crack up!
    seeing how some come on here and have no clue how their bodies work,maybe she had no idea that breasts made milk

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• She might have been embarrassed that she unknowingly referenced your boobs. I have a friend that was like that as a teen, and she still is at 34. She'll turn bright red if she has to reference any body parts that are covered by bathing suits. I think she thinks she's going to spontaneously combust for saying boobs or balls. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I was never really exposed to breastfeeding when I was a teen. I did not know anyone who breastfed! Not one person. I probably would have given the same look when I was around 14-15. I mean, I knew what it was.. But thought it was gross, and did not have information on it. Now I am proud to say I have bf two out of three of my kids. Some teens are just not exposed, or not mature enough. Or they just dont care...
    SenecaBabyy07

Answer by SenecaBabyy07 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• My cousin use to tell me I had super boob milk because when I was bf my son he was very big as in tall. When he was 6 months old he was a size of what a 1 year old should be. She joked about getting her DD some because her DD was older then my boy but a lot smaller.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 14, 2013