Do you feel that horror movies have lost something in recent years compared to their 1980's counter parts?

Some of the remakes I think are worse than the original. The 1980's movies were much scarier. Film makers today have seemed to have lost their edge though there are a few good ones but not many are very original.
Plus I would like to see more ghost stories that are slightly more realistic and not so far fetched like Insideious and some of the others. A good old fashion haunted house film with a few good scars and a place placed ghost here and there would be awesome. But the ghost has to look like a ghost, see through, floating apparition, or moving things in the house while invisible. Not your 13 ghosts demonic looking ones. I want real spirits that rattle chains, walk around at night and slam doors.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 8:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• This came up in a vis comm class I took a while ago. The majority of the class were under 20. Prof asked us for the characteristics of a horror movie, once there was a list of a dozen or so, he showed a scene from Halloween (where Jamie Lee Curtis is searching the neighbor's house and he's in it, trying to find her in the dark). In 60 seconds, it hit every characteristic that was on the list, but the younger portion of the class called it "silly". They don't have the attention span for it - all they want is non-stop gore, essentially porn, but replace the sex with bad CGI and fake blood.

They literally didn't "see" a lot of what was going on, but when he rewound and pointed it out to them, then they got it. He made them watch a lot of Hitchcock after that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• We lost the last girl theme or the final girl you know the girl who was virtuous and worked and loved her family and was the last girl to confront people like Michael Myers, Jason Voorhies and Pinhead. Remakes scare the next generation of movie goers and we have to congratulate them for keeping their brand name out there even if we are not the intended movie audience.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Oh yeah they have lost a lot of the scariness in them. Everything is either CGI or like 1st person carrying the camera kind of movie. I like the old is he behind the next door kinda feeling and you can't get that in the movies today. It's very hard to find a good scary movie anymore... Bring back the 80s!!!!! :0)
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I think today's movies are more about the gore, less about the psychological suspense. They rely heavier on the graphic maim & torture scenes rather than on the tense, unexpected attack.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• There is no such thing as a "scary" movie, at least I've never seen one. I've seen some really good thrillers. Each decade has at least one, sometimes more. I definitely HATE that ignorant first person camera crap. That is soooooo annoying!!!! 

For the most part, I hate remakes, but there may be at least two exceptions to my rule ... Red Dawn and Evil Dead. Saw the red trailer for ED and it looks GOOD. 

There is one really good thriller from the 80s that comes to mind ... John Carpenter's The Thing with Kurt Russell.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I think there's too many special effects, blood, guts, gore....

They couldn't do all that way back when and had to rely more on the STORY.

A psychological thriller that gets in your head is way more scary than all the special effect crap that you know is fake.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Yes, their sublety. Now it's all gore and a competition to see who can come up with the grossest death.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I agree with NP - what your mind can come up with what you don't see - that is scarier than some digitized monster.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I agree with the lost story line and more gore comments. It's hard to find a good story line anymore and all those "found footage" movies..crap!
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2013