How should have this been handled?

So this guy's blood alcohol was  3 times above the legal limit. He dined and dashed and stole a vechicle and ended up crashing into someone killing the man in the other car. He was facing charges of automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; DUI, a third-degree felony; theft by receiving stolen property, a class A misdemeanor; and improper lane travel, a class C misdemeanor. But today a judge dismised it all because the crash left him mentally and physically hanicap. He has a mind of 9-10 year old now.

This is an actual story in my area. The comments on the article are surpring. A lot of people are sayng they don't care if he has a mind of 10 year old he needs to serve life in prision. I personally don't think so. What do you think should have been done in the case?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my this is a tough one. I keep going back and forth. Can a 10 yr old mind understand a punishment doled out? Should he be let go Scott-free? Is this punishment enough??
    I really do not know. What a horrible situation-mostly for the person who got killed though. They lost their life.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Well he certainly deserves punishment, so he should end up in a 'home' for the mentally and physically impaired. But I think the worst punishment is the one he created himself. He is now stuck in a prison of his own making. But I still think he should know he murdered someone. Even a 10 yr old would know that was done is wrong. And it is his fault he is in the condition he is in now.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• An institution does sound like the best case in this scenario. He will require supervised care for his remaining years.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I agree that prison is not the place for this person but I do not think he should be free to do as he wished. A 10 year old mind with all the rights and priviledges of an adult would not be good for society or for the man.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Well, I agree that if his mental capacity is that of a 9 or 10 year old, prison is not the right place for him. I don't think a total dismissal was appropriate either, because he did commit a crime (or more than one?). I think probably the better way to go would be the way they do with those who are found unfit to stand trial for things like murder because of insanity or mental incapacity - order him into an appropriate care facility and he remains there until his death or he's found capable of understanding, standing trial and serving his time.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• It sounds like the bottom line of this is that he will not "learn" anything from any punishment at this time. If I were the family member of the person he killed, I think I would be satisfied with the idea that he was never going to be able to live a normal life now. Then again, I am not in that situation, and can never say for sure how I would feel unless I was in their shoes.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I doubt he will be able to re-offend, so therefore, I would think strict probation/ankle lock rules should be in place, it is sad for the man he killed, but his life won't be redeemed by sending someone impaired to prison.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Similar situation here... won't go into too many deets cause it's personal, but my stepson with severe brain injury did 6 months in general pop, 6 months work release and 1 year house arrest. (after all his rehab/physical therapy was finished)
    As his parents, of course we thought it was too harsh, but for the parents of the girl who died, no punishment could ever possibly compensate for their loss.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I have been thinking about this all day.He should not go to a prison because the punishment will be unfair for someone who can't understand the exten of his actions.
    That being said he can not be allowed to roam loose and his parents can not be resposible for locking him dowm (restricting) as necessary. I feel the best recourse would be to remand him to a mental institution with the hope that someday with new treatment he may gain enough of his mentality to stand trial for his actions. Until that timehe needs to be in a home with similar people , mental age and size wise.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I think what the judge did was good. He is already in a prison now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2013