Advice on dealing with an ignorant Father - Please help

I have recently found out that my partner allows his son aged 9 to play video game " call of duty" (over 18s). I have made it clear to him I do not agree with this but unfortunaltely he sees no harm in it. My two year old daugher is also sometimes in the room when the game is played. He is being pig headed about it and I need to reslove this problem. Advice Please ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• personally, i think if the kids are well educated in the difference between fantasy games and real life than video games shouldn't be an issue. My son watched my husband and i play this game all the time. He is 3.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thats a tough one. I agree with you op, that game is wayyyyy to violent for kids. THEY DO NOT understand fatasy and real life, they are KIDS. Which means they dont get it all the time. gesh...

But anyways. Its hard b/c your SO probably truely sees no harm in what he is doing. A lot of people dont, obviously.

Sorry i dont have more advice. Its hard to get someone like that to see your point. Maybe find some info on the internet about the effects of video game violence on kids. Print it out for him to read. Tell him it really bothers you.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• its his kid if he has no problem with it and the boys mom has no problem with it why should you care if he is at your house dont let him play when he comes over

symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There's not really much you can do if his son is playing it, but your DD should not be seeing that. You should come to an agreement on when he can play it. When dd is napping or when she's with you in another part of the house where she can't see it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Get the info about the harm in it and show it to him and pitch a bitch fit! I would if it were my kid!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It is violent, but it is his son. As far as your daughter is concerned maybe you can come to a compromise on that. There are alot worse games out there (Grand Theft Auto). So IMO a war game is not so bad. My husband plays it and is teaching my son to play it (he is 7). Like another poster said it really comes down to you as the parent teaching them right from wrong, reality vs fantasy.
    Anonymous