Are you afraid to let your child date someone of a different race? adult content

I'm going anon for obvious reasons. And it's not to stir up trouble. I only ask because of all the crime against minorities. Usually by other minorities. I am fearful that my child could get caught in the cross fire. That is all. It's nothing against the person, just that sadly, the minorities where we live seem to have targets on their backs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Relationships

• Afraid...not really the right word. I might be concerned, as I would be if they were gay, that by choosing to date someone of another race, they might be subjected to ridicule, bullying, violence, etc. But it's not something that I would teach my boys "it's wrong to date black/asian/hispanic/whatever people." I'm more concerned with making sure that my boys date quality women (or men, if they go that way), of any race, that they treat her with respect and consideration and that she does the same. If she treats my boy badly, I don't care what color she is, I'll let her know that I won't tolerate that kind of crap, and then remind my son that I raised him not to tolerate that kind of crap.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I'm afraid of letting my kids date at all. I am not concerned about the color of one's skin, but rather the content of their character.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• "Let" my child...?
    I just want my children to find someone who loves and respects them. I don't care if that person is another race or what gender they are or where they are from.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Afraid, no. I'm more concerned about my DDs' dating losers, punks or criminals (which can be any race). But, honestly since my oldest is only 6 is hard for me to imagine dating.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I can't have that problem. Why You say? Because I am caucasian women, and my DH is a African American man.  Both my DD's are of mixed race.  So me having an issue with my DD's dating whatever race they dated, would be silly.    

But anyways, both DD's are adults and are married to caucasian men.

Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Let's start with this question... do you live in this violent neighborhood? If so, if you are so concerned about the violence, why not leave... far far away. If your child isn't near that sort of neighborhood, it wouldn't matter who they dated or of what color... correct? So it soundsto me the option really is in your hands. It might not feel like an option because of the money you make or the location of your job, but it really truly is an option. Seek after and work toward what you wish to have in your life and through much hard work and effort, you will have it.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• well my children are biracial race is not a problem to me.. I dont care what race they choose to be with. i dont care if they are with the same sex. i want my children to be happy. I raise my children to beyond race.. a race doesnt tell you what type of person someone is.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• No.. I wouldn't be afraid, but I will admit that it'd take some getting used to the idea. I'm mainly afraid of her dating losers when she's older.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:10 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• not really something ive thought much about since my oldest is only 4...but so long as the person is good and treats my kid right, i dont care if they are purple with blue spots. maybe its just your area...we dont have that problem, violence is violence.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Terrified. But dating of any kind. Lol.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:19 PM on Mar. 14, 2013