What's the best approach to stopping a toddler from biting?

Biting other people, I mean. ^_^

KimmyDaring

Asked by KimmyDaring at 4:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop or prevent the biting in the moment
    Show (verbal) understanding for what's going on that drove the biting ("Yes, you didn't like that" or "It looked so fun, you wanted that toy NOW!" or "You wanted to keep your truck!" or "You didn't want mama to say No!")
    Provide an acceptable substitute

If you think the biting is an impulsive sensory- or teething-related thing, you can offer safe/acceptable alternatives for biting.
    More often for toddlers, it reflects feelings of frustration, anger, fear (defensiveness, such as when a toddler feels threatened/anxious that another child might grab something away.) So give some thought to what you want your child TO do when feeling angry, frustrated, desperate. Make it realistic (when my twins were 15 months I decided I wanted them to "ask for help" instead & I taught them the sign for "help." That's what I'd reinforce when I was intervening.) Then, do "help" by negotiating the conflict!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• No. we do no bite and instant isolation.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:51 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• A firm, consistent NO. Around 18 months I started sitting mine on the steps for 1 minute when they bit/hit/etc

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Depends on what the kid responds best to.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• it is a form of anger, if she is biting other kids, if she is biting your boobie, time to quit!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2013