Neighborhood ettiquette

What is the proper response when a neighbor starts taking pot shots at a skunk in the neighborhood, but doesn't take it down until it's right outside your house (where its musk gland will relax)?

Either the smell is fading or I've gotten used to it enough that my response is no longer to return fire...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Neighborhood etiquetteanywhere would be NOT to shoot any weapon at anything unless you live on acreage & not in shooting distance to any other neighbor including a child. Sounds like a real jerk. Has he not heard of the word "ricochet"?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• What is a pot shot AND did you just threaten to tart on your neighbor?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:55 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Ahhhh fart. Why do I have to add that to my mobile DICTIONARY? Omg this kindle sucks at typing.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• DH just got done cleaning up the mess (now I'm pissed again - his mess, he should've cleaned it up) - it was a pellet gun
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I would be flipping out if my neighbors were shooting anything near our property. We live on tiny lots and they could easily hurt somebody's kid. Shooting is illegal inside city limits for that reason.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• That's illegal to shoot a gun near a house. I'd be pissed.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• In the city we are not allowed to discharge a firearm unless under duress. A skunk is not life threatening so if it goes against an ordinance, I would report them for that and creating a nuisance, which he did by leaving the obnoxious odor without  cleaning it up.

I am not sure if the location of dispatching the vamint would matter unless it was on your property and then yo may als have an issue.

Since you are talking ettiquette and not legalities, mybe you should go to your neighborhood assn. if you have one.

I am of the mind that I would have put on a clothespin and gloves and taken a snow shovel and placed the animal and if possible as much of the surrounding snow or dirt as I could muster and place them on his front porch.

If not I guess I would approch him and mention the obnoxious odor and the fact hat you would appreciate that he wait and kill things away from your home.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:06 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I would be putting the carcass on said neighbor's lawn. What an ass! You don't shoot something on someone else's lawn esp
    ecially not a skunk.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I would have called the police when I saw him shooting.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Blah blah city folk blah blah. I live in the city my kids shoot their BB guns ( at targets not all willy nilly) and I shot a rabid coon on my porch lol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2013