Clear fluid in the ear?

My daughter is home from school today with a slight fever and a sore throat. She's on antibiotics for an ear infection, but she started them last Friday, so they're almost done. Just now, she was complaining that her ear hurt, and when I checked it, there was a small dab of fluid coming out, which I wiped with a tissue. She said the fluid wasn't red like blood, she said she couldn't see it, so I'm assuming it was clear. I've never encountered this before. Should I take her back to the doctor, or is it just part of having an ear infection?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Kids' Health

• By the time I was 6 yr old I had 4 sets of tubes in both ears. I still suffer with infections, but NOT nearly as often as I used to. The clear fluid she is seeing happens when antibiotics are used, althoiugh it can occur without any previous infection. The fluid is clean and it may be coming out cause there is poor ventilation in the eustachian tube. Its not a big problem unless she starts getting repeated infections.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Does she have tubes in her ears?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• When ever my DS gets an ear infection fluid comes out of his ears. Its been clear, red, pink. I would think she has an ear infection
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Have you called the dr.'s office to ask?? When in doubt call and ask...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• No tubes. She's had a few ear infections, but none this winter except this one, an no fluid ever came out before.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Mar. 14, 2013