My son got his first immunizations today and...

He had a fever so I gave him Childrens Advil since I have no Tylonel.. Its his first time having pain medication and I was wondering if it should be making him sleep & doze off?

Also, is Childrens Advil bad? I always hear everyone giving their babies Tylonel.. But, I only had Advil at home so thats what I used..

It works the same as Tylonel?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think babies under 6 months are suppose to have Ibuprofen

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• what does the dosage information say on the back of the advil box for his age?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Also,you better educate yourself on children's meds before you end up killing your kid
    Tylenol and Ibuprofen ARE NOT the same

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Its for infants it says and I talked to my doctor about the amount I use.. Just didnt know that I didnt have any until I got home because I never had to use it before.. Just dont know if its okay or not.. maybe I should call the hospital and ask.. idk? what do u think?
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I looked it up,it says you can give it starting at 12 lbs. Is your baby at least 12 lbs?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Um.. It says its for pain and fever.. Its for infants and the clinic told me to give him some according to his weight so I did. I called and they said it is fine, thousands of parents choose Advil over Tylonel for their babies and its all I had so I used it. Not like I over dosed him or anything. lol
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• how much does he weigh?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• The fever itself may have made him sleepy, not necessarily the Advil.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:42 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• It should be fine if you talked it over with your pediatrician. Advil will last longer anyway. I would however go buy some infant tylenol so you can alternate between the two if necessary. The fever is actually a good thing because it means his immune system kicked in, but yeah the fever itself is making him sleepy. It's what you had on hand and it's fine to give.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I would go out tomorrow & get infant Tylenol (acetaminophen), They don't recommend giving too much Ibuprofen to children especially very young ones because it can damage their kidneys over time. Use it only when a fever is very high in the future.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2013