Ever questioned your parenting?

we were all out front just now, my parents came over for dinner and we walked them out so the kids just played out there for a while. a girl down the street came over but then had to leave to go eat dinner. she told us she'd be back after she ate. my 6 year old asked, about 10 minutes later, if she could go over there and see if she's done. now, being bothered constantly by neighborhood kids not listening when i say we'll be out don't come to us, etc, i try to have my own kids offer the same courtesy. i know she was eager to play but i told her that she said she would come out when she's ready. so i turn my back and a few minutes later she's down the street knocking on her door! i was pretty mad that she deliberately went against what i said. so i told her we're going inside and she can't play outside with her friends anymore tonight. i feel bad though, like im being too uptight. its probably due to a lack of sleep from the same girl she wants to play with ringing my doorbell everytime i try to nap lol!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Up the ante on her - if just going in isn't enough, add grounding for an additional day, or take away something she's used to having all the time. It takes a little trial and error to figure out what works best for each kid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:02 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• All the time.
    Am I being too lenient. Am I being too tough.
    Where is the happy medium causing them to trust you as a friend and respect you as a parent.

Sometimes, I think I should have just stuck with pets :/
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Not at all. She didn't listen to you & disobeyed a direct order. Ok, now I sound military, but hey, sometimes you gotta run the house like a little boot camp to keep those buggers in line! lol :p I bet she will think twice before ignoring you & doing what she feels like again. Stick to your guns mama.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• You did the right thing. Whether or not you were too tough, she disobeyed, she gets punished. I agree with NP that since this isn't the first offense of this type add something to the punishment. I get annoyed when the neighborhood kids come over 15 times in a row when I already said I would send DS over when he could play, so I get where you are coming from.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:36 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• I think anybody who says she has never questioned any aspect of her parenting is probably in serious denial.

I would have done exactly the same thing as you did. Your daughter ignored what you told her and flat disobeyed. That would have been an instant end to the evening oudoors around here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• You did nothing wrong.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• ugh and she has done this before, and received the same punishment (having to go in and not getting to play with her friends) i guess it didnt stick :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• Yes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:53 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• thanks ladies. its hard being a single parent sometimes because i have nobody to back me up- so i never know what im doing! if there is a next time (and hopefully there wont be) ill add to the punishment and see if that gets through.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Mar. 14, 2013

• sounds like your being a consistent parent trying to instill respect...no wrong done. but i get where your coming from...too harsh, too easy, is this something thats gonna make them have psychological issues in the future...haha yeah i question my parenting a lot.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2013