4 1/2 month baby cries way too much!!! HELP!

My daughter is 4 1/2 months old and I can't set her down for even a second or she will start to cry really hard. Almost 2 months ago there was a fire at our old apt and since then she's been this way and she won't leave me alone I have to hold her all day or she cries. I don't know what is wrong with her and what I should or can do about the situation. Please help! I'm losing my mind!

Lizzie32390

Asked by Lizzie32390 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's difficult to say what is exactly wrong with her but, I would check to see if she's collicking, has gas, or is teething. There is gas relief, and teething relief available at stores. Also, pay attention to the type of cry, is she longing to be held, or does it sound like she is in pain? My son cried a lot during the first year so I feel for you. I did research and determined that he was a 'high needs' baby who just needed extra extra attention by his parents. While it was extremely difficult on me, I learned that high need babies tend to turn out to be very sweet and sensitive children, they just crave constant attention by their mommies and daddies during their earlier stages. Regardless, I would rule out physical problems with a doctor first, then just love the baby and do what you can to comfort her. She will grow out of this stage, trust me from a mother who has been there.
    LauraS-C

Answer by LauraS-C at 10:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds like typical baby stuff. Sometimes they get attached to you and cant be put down. Its frusterating and can make you crazy but its a phase. They usually grow out of it. I think its a common age for this to happen.

Sorry I couldnt be more help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Have you taken her to the doctor? She may have an ear infection or a sinus infection that is very painful with little ones when they lay down. Is she teething? I would definitely take her to the doctor to see if there is anything going on.
    alohamalu

Answer by alohamalu at 10:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I am so glad to hear that I am not alone! My daughter does the same thing! I can't get up for two seconds just to go pee! I can never get anything done because as soon as I sit her down and she realizes I've left her, she starts screaming at the top of her lungs. I can't even leave her with a family member or friend before she starts screaming because she wants me. She won't even sit with her daddy for long. She is so attached to me, it's crazy. It's making me crazy. I am learning how to do things with one hand. I had to do laundry the other day with her on my left hip! It's just so frustrating.

And not only is she crying because she wants me to hold her 24/7, it's also because she fights sleep. She will fight sleep for about three hours every night and every nap. It's so frustrating for me. Usually I'm the only one that can get her to sleep, but it's just so frustrating. Just know you're not alone.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• have you tried wearing her in a sling? that way you could get some things done around the house and she can be with you.

i agree with other moms who have suggested that something physical might be causing this--a cold, a sinus infection, etc. but it could also just be that she needs your attention.
    remember, she's only going to be a baby for a short time and if she needs your attention then give it to her. everything else can be done later.
    good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i'm sorry but it sounds like she's a colic baby. have you heard of the 4 S's? it's the Swaddle, Side, Sway, Sshh...it works like wonders. i know she might be too old for swaddling but try it anyways or force it on her. as harsh as that may sound, but without the swaddling, the side, sway and the sshh won't work. first you swaddle really comfortably firm, if that doesn't work--put her on her side on your lap, if those two combined doesn't work--move your legs from left to right (swaying), if those 3 doesn't work--make the sshh sound right on her ear, and it can't be a light sshh it should be louder than her cry...all 4 combined should work. it's a way to make her feel like she's in the womb again because that's what happens when babies are in the womb. they're cradled tightly, usually most babies are often on their sides, when the mom walks that's a way of swaying, and the sound of the mother's heartbeat is the sound of a sshh.
    rgie_wermager

Answer by rgie_wermager at 12:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• it worked for my 6 month old son. i hope it'll work with your baby girl too. goodluck!
    rgie_wermager

Answer by rgie_wermager at 12:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009