Taking Pictures

When you take a picture of someone or a group of someones, do you take a full-body picture, or try to get closer in (torso and up)?

I was going through some pictures from over the summer and almost every single picture that I posed for (basically the only ones I wasn't taking myself), it is a full-body shot...and I'm not talking about posing in front of something that you try to get all of in the background or where there are 50 people that you are trying to fit everyone in...I'm talking about something like a family gathering where someone says "let's get a picture of you and Jim Bob together" so you and Jim Bob pose and the camera is just as focused on your feet as it is your face. I would much rather a closer-up picture where you can actually see the face of the people in the picture.

Why, oh why do people do this?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 12:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Technology

• ignorance of composition based on too many crappy studio shoots.
    when you are in that situation talk in advance about your fave pics, how you prefer to be shot and show examples, explaining why you like one pic over another.
    most people will agree but they do not tend to realize
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:04 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I zoom in.... zooooooooooom in! Then back out real fast! I take both. Almost at once. Don't know what hit em!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:25 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I usually do one of each. Well, actually, I do three: one full body, one face, and one that's in between. I tend to prefer options, and the ability to crop a photo if for some reason one doesn't turn out the way it should.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Unusually the face. My MIL likes to take full body pictures, I don't care for it because you never see the persons face as well.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I know exactly what you mean! It's like when I take a photo, I do a great job but I never have much luck getting great photos of myself when someone else is taking them. What I've learned is to help direct them on how to take photos. Tell them you want a close-up shot from the waist up, or pre-set the zoom for them, tell them to stand at an exact location to take the photos.

Other people have great photos because of me but now I want some!!! lol However, I honestly think some of my friends do this on purpose just so I can't look as good as them in photos. (well, I was actually told this by one person who insisted I take down a photo because I looked better than she did in it... she's not a friend anymore I'm glad to say)
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2013

• With photoshop you can crop those shots and increase the size of them.
    amclarney

Answer by amclarney at 4:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2013