Does your name have ANY religious meaning??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Translation wise or "due to my parent's choosing it for religious purposes"?

Translation wise it means "Believer in Christ" which is ironic because I don't. However my parents named me after family so there were no religious meanings behind their decision to name me as they did.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sabrina is the nymph of the Severn river. Known as Habren to the early Brits, or Hafren (Ha-vren) to the Welsh, Sabrina is the Roman title which means Princess or boundary. The Severn River begins in Wales and then goes through England close to the Welsh borders on it's way to the Bristol Channel. Sabrina is known as the goddess of river in some mythology and references to her can be found in Sir Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain and John Milton's Comus.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes. Follower of Christ, Christ-Bearer, Christ like, etc.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Technically.

My name means 'pure' and 'virginal'.

If only if only! HAHA.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• No, my name has no religious meaning. My Hebrew name does.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sabrina this is almost spooky!

I know the Severn River well.  It flows through Worcester which is halfway between Hereford (which is on the Welsh border) and Stratford-Upon-Avon.   I have lived in both places and have frequently travelled between the two.

Also in the other post about children with biblical names.  You posted about your son Alexander meaning defender of men,  my name is Alexandra; the feminine form lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• No its not religious at all.

Means Cheery/Friendly tho. LOL
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Safina-in Arabic it means an Arch or a Boat, in the Quran the word Safina is used to describe Noah's Arch. So yes it does :)
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Nope. Like all the Ashley's and Jordan's of today, I have one of those names that used to be for boys, but was co-opted and turned into a name for girls. It originally means fighter or warrior, and now the baby name books tweak the definition to something like "strong woman" to avoid admitting it's actually a boy's name.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Cynthia- means Greek GODDESS of beauty
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009