What to do when your baby wakes up and don't wont go back to sleep ??

My son is 2 and he goes to sleep at 8 and wakes up at 10 and Gose back to sleep at 3am

Sjamaica

Asked by Sjamaica at 1:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does he do in the five hours he is awake at night? How much sleep is he getting during the daytime hours?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:56 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• No more daytime naps. Keep him very active for a few hours before bedtime to wear him out.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:00 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• He wake up at 7:30 to go to Preschool and they told me nap time at 12-1 but he won't take the nap and what dose at night is play and I try to put him back to sleep but he fights it.
    Sjamaica

Comment by Sjamaica (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I would try keeping him up a little later to see if that helps.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:10 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• When my oldest was that age he was waking at night. I made him stay in bed in the dark and turned on classical music. There was some crying involved but once he finally learned I was not letting him get up and play (yes it took 3-4 months before he figured it out) he started to sleep through again. You can also talk to your dr to rule out anything medical.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I remember my kid doing that. Just changed with time. Try to wear him out more during the day.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Ok thank you everyone =]
    Sjamaica

Comment by Sjamaica (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Maybe he is over tired & wired out from not napping during the day. This may sound crazy but it works. If my Daughter wakes in the middle of the night & has a fit & won't go back to bed, I put her in a small (umbrella) stroller, turn off the lights & wheel her around in circles in the kitchen. She'll fall asleep really fast then I wait a few minutes & bring her to her bed asleep. Also make sure he eats a little snack before bed like 1/2 a banana and/or some Cheerios. My kids sleep better if they have a snack before bed with milk too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2013