Got a puppy!

now i'm thinking what in the heck did i get myself into!?

my cat hates him! Lol.. and my kids love him and so does hubby as for me.. well i'm the one picking up after him and what not......................................... i need help

how to pad train or help potty train a puppy to go outside!?

when he does go outside he goes on the concrete not the grass!!

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Pets

• Lucky you! Better you than me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• your local petsmart should have a free potty training class
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 3:02 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I love puppies, but they are a lot of work. You have to take them outside every two hours.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:32 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Take him out o a leash and lead him to the pooping spot.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 5:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• hahaha I was thinking the same thing as your first statement!! lol It's like having another kid for sure!! And doesn't it seem that's how it works out when you are the one tending to it. lol

Personally, I would crate train and also get it on a feeding schedule. That way you can keep a better eye on when to take it outside. I never leave the food/water just laying out because they will never go when they need to. And you will be chasing it around just to make sure it doesn't have an accident.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Congrats!

I know nothing about puppies so I'm no help... but we do love pictures around here :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I never had much luck with puppies. I always adopt seniors from a rescue shelter.

I know you have to be pretty dedicated... they are like babies. Decide on a method of potty training and stick with it. There are books at Petco. Also, some area groomers do obedience classes as well. Please make sure you are willing to commit though. It's very hard for an animal to be adopted, then taken back, only to start the process over again.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• We crate trained our last dog and he learned very quickly where it was acceptable to release himself.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• i will check petsmart today! thanks!

i take him outside and he just poops or pee's on the concrete..! :/

i will try the leash thing..

how do you crate train?

i did adopt him... our shelter has had an uprise in puppies..so many unneutered and unspayed animals that their is a bunch of puppies left without homes.. so my kids picked him i dont think i would take him back... i just need to get him potty trained because he just poops all over the place and pee's anywhere.. !!

mampanda0422

Comment by mampanda0422 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Crate training is easy. You get them a kennel (perferably one with a seperator in it so you can adjust size as they grow) and make it small but big enough that they can turn around, stand, sit, lay, etc. Place a towel on the bottom for them to sleep on. Dogs will not go to the bathroom where they sleep... When our dog would have accidents i would tell her no, take her out for a minute and then she went into her kennel for a while. she was potty trained within a week. Granted it may take longer, we have a pit and they're easier to house break.
    molly_beth13

Answer by molly_beth13 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2013