Activities for extremely high anxiety 15yo?

Need ideas to find activities for my ds. he has anxiety issues from being bullied and he has panic attacks if he sees any former bullies when we are out and about. he is a virtual school student so I'm hoping to find ways to get him to interact with others.

jessica1078

Asked by jessica1078 at 5:46 AM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• The ones that spring to mind are things like yoga and meditation because the breathing exercises can help him control his anxiety (and they help focus). How about singing?

Swimming is another good idea - I find it very calming to swim a mile from time to time. I also get a "feel good" high from it :)

I have a friends with high anxiety who swears by martial arts. He says that he feels less helpless and more empowered (it's about using your inner power) since he started them. There's a good choice of different martial arts to choose from.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:20 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Karate, or Cross Country.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Get him into some kind of club, what does he like to do? Anything from singing to painting, to sports.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Martial Arts(Kung Fu),Yoga,
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Is he in therapy? That is the First thing he needs. Did you take him out of school because of the bullying? What was done to the bullies? Can you enroll him in another school? I think he needs to go back into a regular school environment. His anxiety needs to be addressed & worked out. Like getting back into a car after an accident. He needs to feel empowered & confident again. I don't know your situation and the details but my Son was bullied already in kindergarten (physically assaulted too) & he is more confident now that he kept to his regular day & now feels safe since he knows other people are there to help him. He should get back out into the real world ASAP. Counseling ASAP! The Counselor or Therapist will have great recommendations.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• BTW, my Son is so confident now that he was approched by the bully who asked my Son to be his friend & he said "NO! Friends don't hurt each other!" & this boy is in 5th grade & my Son is in Kindergarten.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• yes we are doing therapy, the issue we are facing is the chance encounter with these kids. His therapist also mentioned yoga and martial arts.So thanks all for the advice, I think I'll look into martial arts for him. also- the school didnt take the bully issue seriously. My ds was suspended many times for protecting himself by pushing kids off when they pinned him down.I filed complaints with the school, school district,county office of education,& the state board of education. the waiting period was too long for him to remain at the school so I enrolled him in a virtual school.
    jessica1078

Comment by jessica1078 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Any type of team sports - he might as well get back on the horse ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Get him into karate, gymnastics, or something musical.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2013

• Where is his father,u mite wanna get him involved also.
    mrs.MOM34

Answer by mrs.MOM34 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2013