Who'da thunk it?

There is a ski resort in Alabama. They use artificial snow, of course, but who would have imagined. I've lived here all my life and didn't know this. I discovered this when planning our weekend getaway to the mountains, which is in the same area. It's a shame it's too warm to go skiing, and the season is over. Does the area/state you live have a 'best kept secret'?

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 12:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2013 in Travel

• I guess you can have snow anywhere with the help of modern technology. We have lots of skiing here in Colorado, but I haven't been since high school. I used to ski with a guide who would tell me which way to turn.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• It's going to be 89 degrees here today. Did you know that we have a Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Utah has the "best snow" in the world supposedly. We have dozens of ski resorts but I have never been skiing and dont care too.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Most people don't even realize we have a mountain here with real snow. I'm 20 minutes from snow here.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Is the area near Jasper, AL? I went there as a teen in the summertime.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• Funny that you should mention Vegas, we are actually going to visit the 'Grand Canyon of the East'.

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/littleriver1.html

Can't make clicky, on my phone.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• No, it's near Fort Payne, al. It's probably about a 2 1/2-3 hr drive from Jasper. In a little quaint town called Mentone, AL.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2013